Ppi claim before 2005

Options
Hi
I have successfully reclaimed some of my ppi's however 3 of my claims weren't progressed by the claims company I used as the ppi was sold before 14th Jan 2005. These 3 companies were not subject to the FOS for general insurance activity until after this date. One claim is with littlewoods, who I know I had ppi with despite being unemployed and unaware if having it. Does anyone know if I can still claim for this? (the account will have been taken out around 1997 and was closed in 2005/2006) thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    14th January 2005 was when insurance became regulated. Companies that were not regulated prior to that date do not have to consider complaints made about PPI. That is why the CMC isnt taking on complaints about them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Zedmoss
    Options
    Thanks, is it not worth pursuing then?
  • Borgie1234
    Options
    Hi I had 2 loans with Marks and Spencer in the 1990s - I didn't have much detail but they have said they know the policy numbers and that one of the loans had PPI and one did not - however they say they have no idea how much PPI I paid so cant help me - yet they knew all the details of the loans the dates the account numbers etc. Should I SAR them ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want to gamble £10, yes.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zedmoss wrote: »
    Thanks, is it not worth pursuing then?

You could find out who the policy underwriter was and refer your complaint to them because that business may have been regulated before 2005 and fall under FOS jurisdiction.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Borgie1234 wrote: »
    Hi I had 2 loans with Marks and Spencer in the 1990s - I didn't have much detail but they have said they know the policy numbers and that one of the loans had PPI and one did not - however they say they have no idea how much PPI I paid so cant help me - yet they knew all the details of the loans the dates the account numbers etc. Should I SAR them ?

Send the SAR and see what it produces. What will help is proof of payment e.g. bank statements showing the start and end date of the M&S loan if you paid by direct debit.
  • ernievan
    Options
    Hi,
    i also need some help regarding ppi, before 2005, please.
    1/ homeloan,
    2/ personal loan.
    Both with halifax bank.
    Can i reclaim from them.
    I do not have any information though.
    I closed an account i had with them in 2015
    and only have the old account number
    thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ernievan wrote: »
    Hi,
    i also need some help regarding ppi, before 2005, please.
    1/ homeloan,
    2/ personal loan.
    Both with halifax bank.
    Can i reclaim from them.
    I do not have any information though.
    I closed an account i had with them in 2015
    and only have the old account number
    thanks

Banks are different to many firms in that they were members of an earlier body and the regulator considers that continuation. So, the 2005 regulation of insurance does not apply to them (the banks werent happy about that and it went to court and they lost)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't reclaim.
    You make a complaint and provide evidence to back up your complaint.
    You don't get it back just because you paid it
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ernievan
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    The only information I have about my dealings with the bank, is the now closed account.
    If I complete the forms from the website.
    What other evidence can I provide ? ?
    Long story, had mental problems and , and did not keep any correspondence.
    BUT, a letter with what I know.
    Is that sufficient ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family