Steam Generator Iron repair flex?

Options
I have a Tefal Steam Generator Iron that is working perfectly but I've noticed that the fabric covering has 'slipped down' the flex exposing the black wires. It's the flex that goes from iron to base, not the lead that is wired to the plug.

Common sense tells me this is not a good thing but is it too dangerous to use? Is it something that can easily be repaired?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

Comments

• TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This happened on my Phillips steam generator iron too. Ours was still in guarantee so we took it back and got it replaced. I don't honestly know if it is "too dangerous" to use but we wouldn't take the chance. Check on how long your guarantee is, hopefully it's still covered.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    No, it's out of guarantee. OH insists it's quite safe because it's not plugged into the mains but I'm not so sure. That said, I don't want to have to buy another and I couldn't go back to a 'normal' iron.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if I've got this right as electrics are not my forte but the flex that goes from the iron to the base should have two wires - one for delivering the steam and the other for heating the sole plate of the iron.

If the fabric covering slips down far enough for those wires to suffer any wear then firstly the wire delivering the steam could deliver the steam onto your arm which is bad enough and I dread to think what would happen if the other wire wears.

With all due respect to your OH, if it was me then I'd be telling him that if he feels it's safe then he can do the ironing from now on because I'm not happy with a flex in that state. I would be taking advice from Tefal customer services or someone that repairs electrical items or, better still, check out the cost of getting it put right.
  • Magentasue
    Options
    Thank you Tomsmum - I haven't been able to find anyone locally to repair or advise so will try Tefal. I'm expecting them to suggest a new iron ...
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I called Tefal with an iron that broke, and they gave me a couple of options, along the lines of they will inspect and if deeemed to be a fault they will replace etc, if deemed to be me dropping it I pay for inspection etc, or quite a hefty discount off the price of a new product direct with them.

The we got a steam generator and paid substantially less than the price in Argos for instance.

The electrics in that cable are likely to be 240v dangerous stuff, because the soleplate of the iron is still heated up.

Give Tefal a call and suggest along the lines of a design fault, and how long should it last etc.
  • GaryS
    GaryS Posts: 807 Forumite
    Options
    The same thing happened to our Tefal Steam Generator (luckily whilst under warranty) so it is obviously a common fault.

When we sent ours for repair via Comet, they lost it and eventually replaced it with a brand new one. (After some strong words regarding reasonable time etc).

Hopefully Tefal will sort it out as it looks to be a design issue.
  • Magentasue
    Options
    Well, have given up. Tefal customer service no help at all. Can't find anyone locally who even wants to look at it - not economical to repair, I'm told. So it's off to ebay. I hate thinking of such expensive toys being disposable.
  • jcorbygas
    jcorbygas Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My second Tefal steam generator has now packed up. The first one lasted about 3 years and now so has this one. The steam valve is stuck on open and it is now dangerous to use. (The flex is damaged as other peoples and has been for ages - definitely bad design.)
    Can anyone recommend another make of steam generator thats not as expensive or badly made, or a standard iron which has a large capacity steam facility.

Thanks
    Jackie
  • Magentasue
    Options
    This Rowenta was a Which? best buy. I was tempted but have gone for another Tefal from ebay. Hoping I won't regret it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure