Contactless payment and "random" security check

Options
The last 3 times (all within the last 48 hours) I used my second Tesco current account debit card as a contactless payment, I've had to enter the chip & pin for it (all in the same shop).

Is this normal?

The shop staff say this is normal but I'm seeing this more and more now on that same card.
Goals
Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    The last 3 times (all within the last 48 hours) I used my second Tesco current account debit card as a contactless payment, I've had to enter the chip & pin for it (all in the same shop).

Is this normal?

The shop staff say this is normal but I'm seeing this more and more now on that same card.
    I don't use mine as the TSB ones (two individual and one joint) give us 5% cashback and the co-op gives 5p per transaction (so ok for payments under £1`).The Reward points offered are very few.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That counts as 'random'. Just as likely a random event happens three times in a row as it is to happen neatly spaced out.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yes, it's pretty normal.

I've found some banks i.e. Tesco (credit card) and Lloyds Bank (Visa Debit) tend to require a PIN more than my TSB (Visa Debit).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    ...(all in the same shop)...

That may be part of the issue. It could be that particular retailer is seen as a high risk for contactless fraud.

Perhaps that retailer has a history of contactless fraud. Or they have a high 'risk score' because of the type of business they are, where they are etc.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you loose a conactless card you would hope the bank would throw in a few pin request now and again otherwise until you cancelled someone would be hitting a few £20 - £25 transactions at your expense.
  • TrustyOven
    Options
    Well, before I got the second Tesco debit card, I used my main Tesco debit card, also contactless, and I seemed to have far fewer security checks with it.

Perhaps it's because I only use the 2nd account in that specific shop, it's triggering some sort of "trust" warning, so causes a greater number of checks.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you loose a conactless card you would hope the bank would throw in a few pin request now and again otherwise until you cancelled someone would be hitting a few £20 - £25 transactions at your expense.

If you lose a contactless card and it is cancelled by your card issuer it cannot be used.
    Do you honestly think banks also have not accounted for subsequent transactions that may go through? Good luck to a thief using a stolen contactless card, likelihood they will be on CCTV, whilst it may be frustrating for the cardholder would they not get such monies back?

There will always be criticisms of any new method of paying, chip and pin was going to be a nightmare, yet before that we signed and shop assistants barely checked. You could always of course just carry a wallet full of money, lose that and you're screwed.

It seems no matter what card issuers do to help make our lives easier and more convenient there will always be those to criticise.
  • eset12345
    Options

it would actually be at the banks expense, they take on all the liability for fraudulent transactions, this is why retailers push the use of contactless so much, and the processing fees are cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure