Insulating solid brick walls

Options
Hi,

Our home is a 1920's bungalow, part of the house has solid walls, the other part has a cavity, which has been filled. Rooms with cavity filled walls are comfortable, but the rooms with solid walls can get extremely cold in winter.

We plan to tackle the insulating of the 3 rooms with solid walls over the course of the next 12 months, one room at a time, starting with the front bedroom.

This will involve stripping out lath & plaster, taking the wall back to the brick. There are two external walls that need stripped back and insulated, the dimensions are 4.8m x 3m and 4.5m x 3m, with the smaller wall having a bay window, the windows are 1.7m x 1.4m and two at 1m x 0.5m. It was also suggested that that the ceiling be lowered, to save having to tackle the lath & plaster ceiling.

I was quoted £3,850 by a local joiner, he reckons it's a 7 day job for two joiners, which I fail to see how that's possible. He quoted £2500 for labour, £1200 for materials, £150 for a skip, and that did not include taping and filling plasterboard, which he said would be another £800~1200, so almost £5k! :eek:

I indicated prior to quote I would probably do the strip out myself, he said if I did he would knock £500 off his quote. He proposed to start the job in 3-4 weeks, and didn't give any impression that he didn't want the work.

I'm going to get another quote, but realistically, how much should I be looking at for this work?

If I do the strip out, I was thinking that it should take;

Day 1 - strap out new ceiling and walls (x2)
Day 2 - fit insulation boards and plasterboard
Day 3 - fit skirting and window facings
Day 4 - shelf out alcove cupboard and snagging.

Does that sound unreasonable?

This initial quote has left me seriously considering tackling the work myself.

If I were to tackle this myself, I feel relatively confident about strapping out the walls and fitting the plasterboard, the ceiling will be more of a challenge, but I think I should be ok, but I do worry about being able to fit the skirting and window facings to a good standard.

If I were to invest in a good mitre saw, should I be able to get decent results?

The loft is already insulated, so do I need to insulate the lowered ceiling, or just plasterboard?

Should the insulation boards butt up to the brick, or should there be a gap between the brick and insulation?

Also, if after starting the job I found that it was way beyond my skill level, would getting a joiner in at that stage bump the price up even higher?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would get some other quotes.
    Might be worth speaking to neighbours to see if they have done similar.

Also do you need to strip down to brick or can you insulate over whats already there.

The age of the property and not knowing whats underneath from potentially 100 years ago will mean they will be factoring a figure for this risk factor.

Area of country will have an impact on price as well.

Taking it back yourself will reduce the amount of work required, but also allow a joiner to see what he is working with and what he needs to do (ie quality of brickwork.

How well is the loft insulated. You can pick up insulation for next to nothing it may be worth doubling up on that.

What direction are the brick walls - it may be the climate or wind direction that is impacting this as much as the lack of insulation.
  • LUHG1878
    LUHG1878 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Joel, thanks for the response, much appreciated.

I'm definitely going to strip the room myself before doing anything else. I don't want to just insulate over existing walls, i'd rather go back to brick to see what's there, at least if there are any underlying issues they can be addressed.

The loft joists are pretty well insulated, they have two layers of glass/mineral wool, then the entire loft is floored with t&g chipboard.

We're not in London, so was expecting a sensible quote, had expected the full job to come in around £2~£2.5k.

Although direction and climate will play a part, other rooms in the house have benefited from insulation, and so I think that's the solution here too.
  • road2manchester
    Options
    Are you aware that in some parts of the country there are grants for external wall insulation. Seems a better option than all of that extra work inside > depends on final coating finish and if it fits in as it needs rendering.
    If you go down the internal way, why stud the wall at all. Insulated plasterboard ( 2" polystyrene fixed to boards) or even External Wall Insulation panels would be faster and cut out joinery costs.

Seems a lot of money for what should be a simple job.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure