Mondeo throttle lag

Options

Comments

• mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Turbo lag doesn't explain the engine RPM rising whilst vehicle speed doesn't increase, though.

True, but does explain the comment made by the OP;
    "The car is speeding up, but it seems as though there is a half second delay after using the throttle."

Truth is, never of us will know unless we either drive the car or see a video of symptoms, so just trying to add a fresh view on the debate.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Turbo lag doesn't explain the engine RPM rising whilst vehicle speed doesn't increase, though.

Exactly, if the revs go up not in proportion to speed increase and then the engine catches up - it points to clutch slip.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    Options
    I'm another one who believes this to be clutch slip. Had the same symptoms on my car after 120k miles. As BeenThroughItAll suggests, there is a simple test for clutch slip. If you're not near a hill, you can do a similar test (on a clear road) by changing to a high gear at low speed and trying to accelerate. If the clutch is slipping, you'll hear and feel the engine revs rising, then delayed acceleration. You may even notice a hot smell in the cabin.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 3:02PM
    Options
    Just been out for a drive and got my young lad to take a video which is uploading so will post soon.

Looking at the revs, it seems as though my driving style was leading me to accelerate at 1500/2k revs which is when the issue was happening, but when I started changing gear at higher revs it didn't seem to happen so much. As a previous posted said 'Are you changing gear and hitting less than 1500-1700rpm when new gear is engaged? If so, you are labouring the engine too much and not capitalising on the torque provided by the engine.'

When using the throttle lightly and accelerating slowly it was fine, it was just when trying to get away quick.

Not sure how much you will be able to see on the video but from this it does seem as though I need to change my driving style slightly.

Edit, just watched the videos and you don't seem to be able to pick much up from them, but have posted them anyway. Even though I was replicating the problem it doesn't seem to have come up in the video. Excuse the baby gurgling and chatting to my other child :D

At about 15 seconds in the first video it is clearest

https://youtu.be/FsCPLxJIvgE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azy0YQI4n0E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZKyhgITw3g
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    edited 20 March 2017 at 2:56PM
    Options
    marcarm wrote: »
    When using the throttle lightly and accelerating slowly it was fine, it was just when trying to get away quick.

Not sure how much you will be able to see on the video but from this it does seem as though I need to change my driving style slightly.
    And get a new clutch. All the symptoms you describe, and when they manifest themselves, point to a slipping clutch. In its early stages of wearing out, a clutch will only slip when it's under load. So accelerating gently won't make it slip. That's why we've suggested testing it on a hill or by trying to accelerate quickly in a higher-than-normal gear.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    That's the clutch slipping, going by the first video. Didn't watch the others.
  • marcarm
    Options
    That's the clutch slipping, going by the first video. Didn't watch the others.

Thanks, but not what I wanted to hear :(

Trip to the garage soon then
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Yep, clutch slipping, clear as anything.
  • marcarm
    Options
    I now concur, been out to the car and started it. Selected 3rd and lifted the clutch and it didn't immediately stall.

Did it a few times and each time was the same. On a couple of occasions I managed to get it near the top before the car stalled.

Pricy job or not?
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    marcarm wrote: »
    I now concur, been out to the car and started it. Selected 3rd and lifted the clutch and it didn't immediately stall.

Did it a few times and each time was the same. On a couple of occasions I managed to get it near the top before the car stalled.

Pricy job or not?

Full clutch kit, plus a DMF, plus labour.

Did the same job on my wife's Audi 1.8T petrol a few months back, was £600 from my friendly local garage because I didn't have the time to do it myself, so I'd guess at least that kind of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure