Housing issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Glondon12
    Glondon12 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    It goes deeper into just medical issues, there's literally no space whatsoever with all of the equipment and were like two strangers to each other. I go to a uni that's quite local to me (30mins travel) so halls would be pointless I think..plus I don't think it would be ideal as I use a commode, bath seat and a walking stick
  • Glondon12
    Options
    I don't know what I need to take to the council..I have all proof of my medical diagnosis. My mum can't type a letter so I would have to but I don't know what to include
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    just go to the council and make a homeless application.

They will tell you what evidence you need.

At least you will have made a start in the process.

Have you got a CAB that you could visit to help you?
  • Glondon12
    Options
    Is that citizens advice? I have one that I could give a call or go to..I'll go tomorrow morning if
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glondon12 wrote: »
    Is that citizens advice? I have one that I could give a call or go to..I'll go tomorrow morning if

Yes, it's citizens advice.

Enter your postcode here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/

and it should tell you when they are open and whether it is a drop in service or you have to make an appointment.
  • Glondon12
    Options
    Thank you, I'm on the site now speaking to an advice on their web chat
  • Lamentation
    Options
    Glondon12 wrote: »
    I go to a uni that's quite local to me (30mins travel) so halls would be pointless I think..plus I don't think it would be ideal as I use a commode, bath seat and a walking stick

I know you intend to drop out of studies for the rest of this year.

Usually the policy that bans local students from applying to live in halls is relaxed if there are vacancies and at this point of the academic calendar, due to students dropping out of the courses, many halls will have vacancies. If you are still enrolled as a student, you could check if this is an option for you though if you leave your course, you can't usually stay.

At one institution I worked for, candidates that were put forward by the student support service as homeless were prioritised and their previous address history was ignored. The requirement to pay a deposit and first month's rent in advance was waived and a payment plan was set up (this will vary from place to place, though).

Additionally, some colleges/Unis will prioritise accommodation applications from those with disabilities and can offer some support services, including access to adapted rooms and hardship fund/rent payment bursaries.

Most halls these days tend to be ensuite.

Read up on the advice on the Shelter website about your options for dealing with homelessness and how the local council is supposed to assess your application.
  • Glondon12
    Options
    Hi just an update. Went to the housing today and they sent me for an appointment. They weren't helpful and said that I should tell my mum to get a house transfer if the house is overcrowded. It's not just that she wants me out. I live in a 3 bed house which one room is used for her medical supplies and has a sofa bed as the carer stays 4-5 times a week. I don't know what else I can do.
  • professor~yaffle
    Options
    You would need to get proof from your mum that you're homeless as from <whatever date>, otherwise the council will fob you off and say you've got somewhere to live already.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have a right to make a homeless application to your council when threatened with homelessness within 28 days. You would need a letter signed by your Mum stating when you have to leave the family home.
    It sounds as though some kind of supported living would be beneficial for you.
    Your council should have a housing options or advice team, who you could do with seeing, they'll know of any supported schemes locally and help complete the applications.
    Do you have a local Shelter office near you? They will advise you on homelessness, if you don't get any satisfaction from the council.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure