What savings should I have?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    [QUOTE=guitarman0

Sounds like me, then - I'm from a poor background and got two degrees. Not earning a 6-figure salary (I wish - considered LSE but it costs a fortune) but doing well compared to my peers.

Out of interest, what did you do to retire at 55 and was your pension final-salary based? I'm also not saying everybody made money from property and I'm glad you made yours off your own back, as I will be making mine - the hard way.

You worked for that money, I'd be spending it and enjoying yourself, not passing it all on to kids - they should make their own way (and sounds like they are).

Did he do his MBA at LSE, out of interest? I think I'm happy enough staying in engineering.. a move to the States would see a 6-figure salary immediately, and a move to Europe a raise to ~70k Euros (which probably works out about the same considering tax differences etc).[/QUOTE]

To retire at 55, I sold my business (architectural and interior design). If I hadn't established a business of my own, I think I would still be toiling :)

My son gained his MBA at Loughborough - a really good uni in my opinion. After graduating he then proceeded to take various other qualifications, which stood him in good stead for the job he has now.

Good Luck with everything :)
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes yes KWM, I take your point on there being a noticable portion older folk who are decidedly less than practical/well organised on a number of fronts, I just get the impression that proportion has gotten larger over time with 'younger' people in the late 20s/early30s bracket.
    kwmlondon wrote: »
    I know a lot of people who would rather work harder and not cook - the amount of money they'd save by making their own food rather than buying ready-meals is much less than they'd make working for the same amount of time.

Tho having said that this is an area we're never going to agree on -> knocking up something simple and healthy takes 10-15mins, I know exactly what went into it, it's not full of salt and E numbers, it's 'fresh' and tasty. Plus reading the instructions on your cardboard pull out and microwaving/baking/leaving said ready meal to stand for x mins as instructed probably takes 5-10 mins anyway (before we get into 'overcooking' and freezing extra portions of the home cooked stuff too). Basically on the food front I can never see the time saving being significant and simply see it as burning cash and being unhealthy with little upside.

That said there are areas I can see it does make sense for well paid professionals to outsource some tasks -cleaning etc being amongst them.
    I'm not telling you to do this, but me- personally - I'd rather pay someone to iron my shirts as I HATE ironing them so much I'd rather sacrifice something else in my life than iron them. I detest ironing. I'd rather scrub the toilet.

lol I actually has this very argument with my ex -seriously ironing a shirt takes an extra 5 mins in the morning which represents setting your alarm a few mins earlier each day. It's not time you'd be spending 'hard at work' earning that £50, it's simply burned money each month (or rather two extra meals out at a nice restaurant each year).

If I needed a car right now I could either buy a banger and risk it being unreliable (probably not acceptable if I needed to get to work on time) and save money each month at 3% interest or borrow money and buy a reliable car still under warranty that would retain its value well and only pay 4% interest.

It depends if I can get credit, how stable my job is, basically what my options are.

....and this brings us dangerously close to getting back on topic, good planning around savings and having the money to spend when you *need* something puts you in a position of being able to choose which way you go, and where in the 7% interest earned/paid swing you describe represents the optimal balance for your personal circumstances (doubtless you could borrow more over a longer period, pay a higher % in interest for a more expensive car -but you've been able to choose the 4% point as a good balance of car model/car age/car reliability/impression 'feelgood' factor the car creates for you etc etc)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My experience is that I know plenty of older people who don't know how to cook, or care about it that much. I know a lot of people who would rather work harder and not cook - the amount of money they'd save by making their own food rather than buying ready-meals is much less than they'd make working for the same amount of time.

It isn't just to save money you should cook for yourself. Ready meals and takeaways are spectacularly bad for you as they are chock full of salt, sugar and additives.

And yes I repair clothing incl resoling shoes, but I dont knit jumpers. I patch jeans or cuth them off into shorts and occasionally bake bread. I have made most of the curtains int he house as I could not afford to buy them at the time, so took a course at night and learned. I replace my windshield wipers myself and check and fill my car with fluids myself. as well as check the tyres.

There is a middle way of doing everything homemade, and getting the big stuff done (like annual service and repairs on your car). It isn't all or nothing.

Eating a ready meal or take out a few times a month wont kill you, eating them everyday could.
  • mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Getting back somewhere even close to the original question...!
    Sunshine22 wrote: »
    It's a bit nosy, but for those willing to share, I wonder how much people save a month and overall savings / worth?

For me, time is the most important thing. In the near future, I (we!) may have a family and I would rather spend time with them when they are young than work every hour and miss them. For me, it boils down to what is important, and *this* is important - far more than a nice car or the latest phone. As a result, I am leading a fairly frugal life and am saving / paying down mortgage / investing a pretty high percentage, and am driven by graphs like this: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

One crucial point though is about deprivation. For my goal, I'd suffer some deprivation, but I can honestly say that my frugal (and to be fair, I'm not being extreme with it) lifestyle is not one that leaves me feeling deprived and resentful.

Some people (who enjoy spending all they have) assume that I must be really miserable, and they struggle to understand that I am actually perfectly content. Only last Sunday, I spent a few hours picking home grown vegetables in the garden (very satisfying!), spent some quality time with my girlfriend, and then curled up in the evening with a book I bought for peanuts in the local charity shop - was bliss! - and not a cable TV package, flashy car, designer outfit, or expensive restaurant in sight.

Though, I'll be the first to admit that others may value other things higher than time - and that is their choice.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    mgarl10024

I think you've found something some people spend a lifetime searching for and something money can't buy - ''inner contentment''.
  • SavingPennies_2
    SavingPennies_2 Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July 2014 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    The interest rates some of us paid for our mortgages would make your eyes water. But we somehow managed to service the 13%+ loans, and we saved a lot of money by going without mobile phones, internet, laptops, hair extensions, tattoos, acrylic nails and clubbing.

I'm sick of hearing this argument, yes you may have paid 15% or whatever interest rate back in the day, but back then house prices where not as high relevant to wages. You paying 15% back then is about the same as a FTB paying 5% now for an equivalent property.

Also, for goodness sake time change; a lot of technology is cheap now, mobile phones and internet are cheap. My mobile phone costs me £7 a month, thats cheaper than a landline. I don't have hair extentions, acrylic nails, tattoos or go clubbing and neither do my friends and anyway the price of those things are a drop in the ocean compared to the price of houses, don't make such sweeping statements and being judgemental.
  • Reue
    Reue Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    Personally at 27 I save over 50% of my income, funneling it into Pension, Mortgage OPs and S&Ss ISA.

My partner and I managed to save up our house deposit over a few years whilst renting and without any help from parents. The friends we have who moan the most about house prices and being unable to save for a deposit are usually the ones to be found in the pubs every other evening and buying the latest phones with £50 a month contracts.

Too many young people these days expect things to be handed to them, or are unwilling to change their lifestyles. The best thing a uni student can do now upon graduating and starting their first job is to keep living like a uni student. Share a house, bicycle to work and hang out with friends in the comfort of your own home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure