Ebay & Paypal - Be Warned

Options
Normally I have no trouble with EBay & PayPal but have been stunned recently.
I live abroad as an expat & buy a lot of things from the UK. I bought some cosmetic samples to try a colour match.
As an expat I know full well that couriers cannot deliver to Post Office Counters, only to private addresses. My mailing address is Post Office Counters.
When I ordered the goods I believed the seller was going to use an expedited Royal Mail delivery system & that CTT (Portugal Post Office) would take over. Anyway, the seller used a courier (Ebay Global delivey) & it was marked as 'completed delivery'.
I did not receive the goods & explained the situation to Ebay & Paypal, via their resolution process.
Result, I lost my money. Amazing !

So a warning, be very wary of Ebay & Paypal !

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I believed the seller was going to use an expedited Royal Mail delivery system & that CTT (Portugal Post Office) would take over.

Nothing on the listing would have given you reason to 'believe' that as when Ebay Global shipping is used, this is shown on the listing. The seller cannot use any other service, he cannot even invoice you for an alternative service.

If you recheck the listing, you will see that.

The shipping method is a red herring here.

You should not have raised a Case when the item shows as delivered - the seller has done nothing wrong, and he just needs to deliver to the Ebay UK hub.

To sort out your issue, you will need to contact Ebay by phone, but make sure you have understood the issue - Ebay Global Shipping have eroneously marked your item as 'delivered' - nothing else is relevant, keep it short and sweet and don't waffle.
  • cinderfella
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I used live chat & made a couple of phone calls. Eventually PayPal closed the case without informing me.
    There is no way that I would use eBay again for goods that can be obtained via alternative routes. Today being a prime example - buying an IPad but through the Apple refurbished store.
    I think it's more a case of them keeping the cash for themselves re delivery costs. I may be retired but have other priorities to spend my time on.
    All I can do now is warn other people to perhaps think twice before buying relative high cost goods. £17 I can bear the loss, although the way I was dealt with was basically disgusting.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I used live chat & made a couple of phone calls. Eventually PayPal closed the case without informing me.
    There is no way that I would use eBay again for goods that can be obtained via alternative routes. Today being a prime example - buying an IPad but through the Apple refurbished store.
    I think it's more a case of them keeping the cash for themselves re delivery costs. I may be retired but have other priorities to spend my time on.
    All I can do now is warn other people to perhaps think twice before buying relative high cost goods. £17 I can bear the loss, although the way I was dealt with was basically disgusting.

What is the time scale we are talking about here?
  • cinderfella
    Options
    Time scale wise I ordered the goods on 04/01/17, so the whole process from start to finish has been fairly quick.
    The failure of PayPal to appreciate that couriers cannot deliver to Post Office counters has deterred me from pushing that simple fact to them again. It is so basic that anyone in commerce would immediately concur.
    On the bright side I am coming into London from Portugal next month & will be visiting a cosmetics shop where I know the girls will be able to colour match the concealer before buying.
    I think perhaps Amazon is a better bet for people to deal with, especially their marketplace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure