Purchased fake goods on ebay

Options
I purchased a pair of "In very good condition used" Bose Headphones from Ebay.

On the second use of the headphones the tag in the protective case that keeps the cable tidy fell off. I found this odd for a Bose product and spent some time on line checking the headphones authicity.

The serial number on the box checks out with the Bose product registration. But when I look into it further there are a number of points that show they are clearly fake not least the "second" serial number hidden within the head phones which is not accepted on the Bose registration website and the fake bose hologram sticker.

They are however very good copies that would fool the vast majority of people.

I have raised a disupute through ebay and received an overly friendly email from the seller which seems to go into far to much detail about how they used the earphones and are certain they are real and making a lot of noise about how the serial number on the box is real.

The email aroused my supicions and I looked further into the sellers feedback and notice that although most of their feed back is hidden that there are still a few feedbacks that refer to how happy they are with the "genuine bose product"

I am not keen on returning the headphones to the seller for them to sell them onto some other unspecting buyer.

I spoke to ebay via live chat and was told I had to return the headphones to the seller even though they are fake. I pressed them on this and eventually they advised me that if I obtained written confirmation from a Bose shop that they were fake they would not need to be returned.

I popped into a Bose shop yesterday and explained the situation to them, they told me they were fake just by glancing at the box (The print quality is not the same as Bose). They advise me they cannot
put it in writing and that if I want it in writing I would need to send the headphones off to their head office which will obviously cost me money.

Can anyone advise me on my next move?

Bose have an email support for checking conterfeits https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/be_aware_of_counterfeit_products.html would a confirmation email from this be sufficient for Ebay?

Just to add the seller has their location down as being near my home and I originally bid as I could have collected in person and avoided the delivery charge. When I enquired about this after bidding they told me they no longer live in that area and had failed to update their address... Luckily for me I paid via Paypal rather than cash but it also does not inspire confidence in the seller

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Send them back to the buyer and get your money back.

Why would you want to do anything else - not your problem if they are subsequently sold on again.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    as above, you only have the two options, so open a SNAD case on ebay, get a pre paid label and return. Then leave a well structured negative feedback (careful with the terminology) to warn future buyers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above. You are over thinking it. Just return for a full refund through SNAD. It would be a lot of hassle to get written proof they are fake and far easier just to open a case and get a refund.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud_protection/counterfeit_goods
    If you think you have been sold counterfeit goods, or if you suspect somebody is selling fake goods, get advice from the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06. Your local Trading Standards office can also give you advice.

Report it to us online or call 0300 123 2040.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why insist on turning a simple SNAD case into a saga? Just return them, post paid, for a full refund.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make the headphones unusable and send them back?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 3:36PM
    Options
    Make the headphones unusable and send them back?
    And risk the seller contacting ebay and telling them that the headphones were returned damaged which could result in the OP losing their money.
  • sndavid
    Options
    Most of the eBay products are cheaply bought from AliExpress - a Chines shopping website... the quality score is really very bad, no doubt about it.
  • Brywalker
    Options
    sndavid wrote: »
    Most of the eBay products are cheaply bought from AliExpress - a Chines shopping website... the quality score is really very bad, no doubt about it.

What a truly ridiculous sweeping statement.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sndavid wrote: »

...and your evidence for this is....?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport