How much did you spend on your wedding?

Options
I'm currently saving up for my wedding,
I only have £72.60 so far (only started saving this month)

I know I can get balloons and other decor cheap from the pound stores & eBay and am open to do things myself/help of friends/family.

My Nan said she wouldn't mind doing the cake for us,
we were thinking of one/two small tier cake with individual cupcakes to minimise waste

And my dad's cousin could do the flowers, if i asked really nicely and agrees. I'm not too fussed with flowers but would like a lovely bunch to carry down the aisle etc.

I'm looking for somewhere with either accommodation in or near by for his parents to stay over as they live in Oxford and we live in Bristol.

our theme is comic book, red and navy/dark blue as colour theme.

I just don't know how to budget & wanting to get rough amounts to know how much to save for.

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know you're asking to get ballpark figures but what you're basically asking right now is: how long is a piece of string? Weddings can cost from hundreds to hundreds of thousands. Some people have small, totally diy & cheap affairs, others have elaborate dog & pony shows.

I mean perhaps if you ask some specific costings (ie buffet for 100) we could give you an idea - but then they won't be as reliable as quotes from businesses local to you that you might actually use.

Also most of us have possibly been married some time so what x person paid in 2004 might give a misleading answer.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goodness, don’t ask them! You’ll only get depressed.
    Just have a good time at your own wedding, whatever it costs.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Just to let you know - there's a specific wedding sub-board here (not as busy as this one though):
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=142
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mine was about £1000 which included wedding rings, dress, registry office, and a sit down meal for 25.

I didn't want a flashy wedding. I wanted what was important - a nice day with family and friends.

My dress was orange and white, so we had a few metalic orange and white balloons, and the pub function room (pretty countryside pub) Was already really pretty.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    There's another huge thread discussing exactly the same thing here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73341645#post73341645
  • jakolela
    Options
    I spent about £ 1500 for the wedding. but it will vary depending on the year you do this wedding.
  • We spent just under £2000 on everything. If I were to do it again I'd spend less!
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stick within a budget that's sensible for you. Never mind what other people did, because outrageous amounts of money can be spent.
    It is only for one day after all.
    "Save it you've got it, Spend it you've had it"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    thanks guys sorry i wasn't aware there was a weddings board.
    I couldnt find it whilst looking for one. Either that or I'm blind as a bat. thank you x
  • HighamKneeDee
    Options
    In hindsight far too much. Circa £10,000 many years ago. I'm no mind reader, I had no idea she was duplicitous. The divorce was less expensive and far better value for money. Very happy now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure