Any cheap Mitsubishi diagnostic in Essex?

Options
Hello! I am looking to diagnose my Mitsubishi, it should be a gearbox or engine issue probably. I am charged £150 at dealers just to diagnose.

Is there a cheaper alternative? Unfortunately most garages cannot diagnose at all, from those who do some diagnostics they don't touch Mitsubishis and/or auto gearboxes.

What can I do?

Comments

• debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Pay Mitsubishi £150.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sell your car and get something simpler?
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Depends how important your personal safety (and that of other road users) is to you. Surely you researched servicing options before buying your car?
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest if most garages diagnostic kit won't work that a cheap generic eBay is unlikely to either!

It does of course depend on what the issue is, a 'gearbox or engine issue probably' leaves a lot of scope!
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What's the plan for after the 'diagnosis' - doesn't sound as if OP knows much about cars, so I trust they won't be trying a DIY job to save money. Unlikely a reputable garage will be willing to quote on the basis of what is effectively self-diagnosis by a cheapo generic tool (well spotted Browntoa). Think of the loss of profit...
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »

The OP has already said no other garages can provide the required diagnostics services for his car. What use is a £20 Ebay special to him if non marque specific professionals can't even help? How is the OP going to extrapolate and translate the random codes that this code reader is going to spit out?

Even if he does get some joy with it, going to a garage for a fix is going to be problematic. What if they carry out work in accordance with the OP's instructions from the code reader and it doesn't fix the problem? The garage will still want to be paid because they followed the OP's instructions.

OP, pay the £150 diagnostics and get the car fixed properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure