Warm Air Systems to be discontinued ?

Options
Hi,
My house has a gas fired warm air system. It recently broke down. The engineer who came to fix it advised us that we will not be able to get any spare parts for warm air systems after Sept .2018 as warm air systems are to be discontinued as per new Building Regulation norms.
Does any one on the forum know if this is true or is there any way I can find out the facts ? Any information will be helpful.

Thanks & regards
Rohan Pradhan

Comments

• Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your engineer appears to be incorrect.

Finding service engineers experienced and qualified with warm air systems can be difficult. A couple of links here should put your mind at rest.

http://www.installeronline.co.uk/33511-2/

http://www.hbdonline.co.uk/news/johnson-starleys-hi-spec-and-economaire-heaters-hand-over-to-the-new-warm-air-heating-range/

Hope they help.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I used to have warm air heating but it became expensive to get it serviced, only Scottish Gas would service it in my area.

The Scottish Gas engineer kept telling me that as well.

Eventually Scottish Gas wanted over £260 a year to service it.

The final straw was when I had to have an outside vent put into my kitchen wall, the draft through it was horrendous.

The kitchen cooled down drastically at night when the heating was off.

So I got it taken out and radiators and a combi put in, sealed up all the ventilation holes I had been made to make and now I am using 30% less gas and not paying Scottish gas over £300 a year(allowing for price increases, it might be more) and I no longer get cold feet doing the dishes every time the old heating came on.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    johnsonandstarley

Everyone and his auntie wants your money, including the above flogging a new system. Spares are available, find an indi [#2] who wants the work, they are excellent and cheap efficiency.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have use a Warm Air service company in Surrey for many years and they currently charge £170 for a service and call out plan.
    My last new unit cost £2200 eight years ago so I guess they are about £3000 now, how much will a new central heating systems cost to be installed?
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    My last new unit cost £2200 eight years ago
    Does it still need ventilation to an outside wall?

That was the last straw for me.

25 years of underfloor ventilation in a cupboard with a door then that was no longer good enough.

The door had to come off and a vent put into an outside wall, the only wall suitable was opposite the unit and it caused a massive draught.
    find an indi
    been there done that I still ended up with Scottish Gas for servicing it.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My warm air unit does need ventilation in the kitchen but you can put a cowl over it to prevent the wind blowing in.
    The new generation of units include condensing models such as the Warmcair which I believe don't need room ventilation .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure