1234568»

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 March 2018 at 7:57PM
    Options
    merchcon55 wrote: »
    But recovering funds from the CURRENT tenant - if they are reasonable, can be sorted very easily. If they choose to be "difficult", there may be legal remedies you can take to recover funds.

Best of luck with all this !!

He may not have to recover any funds.

He has erroneously paid his supplier for his neighbours bills, therefore he should be credited back the amount he has already paid his current supplier once it is confirmed the meter does not pertain to his flat

This amount should then go towards his actual usage once it is confirmed which meter is his. He should be able to assume his actual bill will be a lot lower.

But, this is where he has to be a bit delicate and a bit tactful with the other flat occupants. If they realise they owe money, they may shut him down and refuse to co-operate.

He has to get them onside. Get them to assist in working out whose meter is whose. Then ask them (which ever person has being paying his meter) if they have a history of their meter readings. By getting this first, he will be able to work out his bill. Ask for copies of those bills if they are willing.

Edit: To be honest - once the supplier of your actual meter is informed. They may send a revised bill to you. As per above, you should have been credited back by your existing supplier by that point. This means you may not have to get any meter reading history from your neighbour.

DO NOT start telling the other flat owners they owe money!!!!! DO NOT start saying "my bills have been huge". Just play it cool and look as it you just want to sort the meters out.

Let the energy company sort out any debt or monies owed by the other flats.

Just concentrate on getting everyone onside to work out whose meter is who's.

The energy companies can chase up who owes who.

To be honest, I am not sure of the legalities of an energy company chasing a bill based on an erroneously assigned meter.
  • DireEmblem
    DireEmblem Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations on hopefully resolving the issue - you can now figure out what your actual usage is!

I also funnily enough live in a 2 bedroom flat. I'm with Bulb and they quote me £54PCM. Not sure if that helps. Its a 72sqm flat, and I am currently the sole occupant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure