How to make up the difference between benefits and bills

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Worked till in my 50's (just) no debts, no mortgage, and as yet no job.

No emergency savings?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    simmons wrote: »
    Sat here at the moment with all of £1.24 to last me till next Thursday, the £146 a fortnight i get as a single man doesnt pay my bills by £60 a month.
    Car has no petrol so cant got to any interviews, have no money for bus fares so ditto, even if i did get a job i cant go, no money.
    Enough food for 5 days meals.
    Worked till in my 50's (just) no debts, no mortgage, and as yet no job.
    Whoever said someone like me can live on that money is deluded.
    So i am gonna have to sit on my a*** until next Thursday when i can hopefully eat or get an interview somewhere.
    So no i don't earn more than a working person not by a bloody long shot.
    Enjoy your dinner tonight won't you

Single people with no children get very little help in terms of benefits. I can sympathise with you to a certain extent as since 2004 when I last had a good/well paid job I have been self employed, very ill in hospital with no income, on JSA, on ESA and finally on state pension. The difference is I managed to set aside money to fill the freezer (special offers/yellow stickers etc helped). I also have a modest sum in an ISA and a few shares (the value of which has risen by 25%:D) for emergencies which were purchased while working.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The difficulty is when you suddenly find yourself on such a limited income, especially when you've been used for years to an income that meant you didn't need to pay that close attention to your budget is that you suddenly find yourself having to deal with the fact that every single pound counts and you need to plan everything to the penny.

Keeping £5 for some petrol or bus fare so you can go to an interview should be a priority, anything that can help in getting a job and getting out of that situation. That is the whole point of the low JSA.

The problem is deciding whether to get rid of the higher costs on the basis of whether the lack of job is going to be short term, in which case, getting rid of the car, downsizing to a small property etc... are going to incur more costs than gain, along the fact that it is hard to get rid of things you've worked hard to get, against accepting that a job might not be forthcoming in the near future and reducing outgoings becomes a priority.

I also always wonder why many people seem to have lost all support from friends and family in this situation? I would certainly hope that if I suddenly found myself without a job (and husband!), I would be able to rely on friends/family to loan me £5 if it meant being able to to go an interview.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    This discussion is focussing on how people cope with living on benefits.

Over the years, I've looked at many SOA's and heard many stories of how people cannot cope with what they receive from the government.

The one thing I hardly ever see on a SOA, or hear from people having trouble managing, is - 'cigarettes ... £70 a week'. But when I watch the many programmes on C5 about people and benefits, it's the one thing they all have in common.

What does a pack of ciggies cost these days? £8? £8.50? When I gave up smoking in the early 80's, 20 Benson & Hedges cost 60p. And I gave up because of the cost!

I'm not saying that every benefit claimant on here is a smoker, but I am grateful that the government doesn't increase benefits to help people indulge.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    some disjointed thoughts

If your wife is receiving standard rate care PIP it seems unlikley that she needs so mcuh care that you're not able to work? (I know that's a leap of faith in teh system but standard rate PIP daily living doesn't equate to needing full time daily care).

The issue of pets is a difficult one, they are part of the family and have many benefits to the family, but they do undeniably cost money. I don't claim income related benefits only PIP but woudln't get rid of my dogs if I did, I would though need to fund their keep by not spending on things for myself, as I do now when it's money that I've earned.

with regard pets and renting, although most adverts don't say that they allow pets, or explicitly say no pets, which appears the default position, you'll lkely find that if you discuss with the landlord most will allow pets provided you as the tenant take responsibility for htem. My landlord of five years says he's more concerned about the houses he rents to folk with children than dogs.

a sixth former in college 4 days a week has plenty of time to work even if just an evening a week - many university students on intensive full time courses work, I paid my way through uni working every weekend. It's a good start to having a strong work ethic.

It would do your older son a favour really if you asked him to contribute a sensible amount to the family budget, only askign for a token amount means that he will be used to having the majority of his wages to spend as he wishes, rather than needing to budget for rent, food, utilities. Which will make it very hard to move on to independence. A conversation with one of our departmental apprentices comes to mind, she was saving all but £10 of her (low) wages each week, had accumulated a reasonable deposit for a house, and couldn't understand why I couldn't do the same ... she paid no rent, no utilities, her parents fed her, she ran her mum's car and her boyfriend paid for all nights out, it came as a rude awakening when she tried to use the deposit she'd saved to get a mortgage.
  • mycleverbunnies
    Options
    Energy companies do this scheme where if you receive income support they give you a "warm homes discount" which they deduct from your bill.My daughter applied for it after I read a random article on it and she just got sent a "key" with £140 to put in her pre pay meter.Think it's only once a year and first come first served but it would definetely help you x
  • bunglebus
    bunglebus Posts: 19 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks - we have had the warm homes payment as credit on our electric key, one less thing to worry about for a while!

I should mention for those that have made suggestions that the eldest son has a little girl so a fair whack of his wages go to paying for her needs.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I would certainly hope that if I suddenly found myself without a job (and husband!), I would be able to rely on friends/family to loan me £5 if it meant being able to to go an interview.

Seriously you would feel nothing by asking?

I know I wouldn't, in fact I have never asked anybody for anything in my life. And believe me I have been skint when I was a lot younger. It was because I have been there that I worked twice as hard to get away from it and never experience it again. The fewer people that know about my problems if I had any the better it would be. Maybe I have self respect?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seriously you would feel nothing by asking?

I know I wouldn't, in fact I have never asked anybody for anything in my life. And believe me I have been skint when I was a lot younger. It was because I have been there that I worked twice as hard to get away from it and never experience it again. The fewer people that know about my problems if I had any the better it would be. Maybe I have self respect?

Feel what? Embarrassed? Well even if I was, I would still rather feel embarrassed but able to go to a job interview than giving up a chance of a job, being able to get off benefits, and being able to repay the £5 and invite my friend for dinner to say thank you after I have the job. That's much evidence of self-respect and respect to the friend than feeling sorry for yourself for not being able to go to an interview and remaining on benefits even longer.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Feel what? Embarrassed? Well even if I was, I would still rather feel embarrassed but able to go to a job interview than giving up a chance of a job, being able to get off benefits, and being able to repay the £5 and invite my friend for dinner to say thank you after I have the job. That's much evidence of self-respect and respect to the friend than feeling sorry for yourself for not being able to go to an interview and remaining on benefits even longer.

Not embarrassed, more ashamed of myself for allowing myself to get into that position in the first place.
    I soon realised that when I was there, it wasn't anything to do with not earning enough, but failing to take proactive steps to avoid getting myself into that position in the first place.
    In my case spending more each month than what I was earning thus ending up with a whole raft of bills being left unpaid.

Happiness is described as only spending 99% of what income you have coming in, misery is when you spend 101% of your income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure