Tesco Broadband holding on to refunds

Options
Migrated back in December from Tesco BB to another provider. Final invoice showed a credit to me of £14.69 - which the invoice stated was to be paid 12 Jan 15.

Notwithstanding today's date, I called Tesco Billing - apparently they do not automatically refund credit and you have to ring them up to ask for it. - which then takes up to 5 business days to be received.

Is that legal? (them not automatically refunding it when they stated that they would)

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Migrated back in December from Tesco BB to another provider. Final invoice showed a credit to me of £14.69 - which the invoice stated was to be paid 12 Jan 15.

Notwithstanding today's date, I called Tesco Billing - apparently they do not automatically refund credit and you have to ring them up to ask for it. - which then takes up to 5 business days to be received.

Is that legal? (them not automatically refunding it when they stated that they would)

Did it say it was to be paid to you on 12 Jan?

I suspect it says that you are due to pay £0 and it will be collected on 12 Jan.

Its common practice for companies to require you to ask for a refund of a credit balance and in principle nothing "illegal" about it. It may be a breach of contract if they state they will refund it automatically but dont and if its a regulated industry then there may be Code of Business type rules which they could run into but not personally close enough to Broad Band/ Comms company regs to be able to say.

5 working days is reasonable. Big companies still use BACS for transfers as they are cheaper and Faster Pay doesnt support all the bulk instruction options that BACS does yet. BACS is a 3-5 working day process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure