Santander bank student account 2012/2013: We want your feedback

Options

Comments

• Sassypeep
    Options
    I've tried to sign up for the Santander student account but have been told I can't as I am already a Santander current account holder and in my 2nd year of uni. On the Santander website it states:

"Apply in-branch if:

you already hold a Santander Current Account.
    you are in your 2nd year or above. We have a dedicated team who will mange the switch from your old account to the Santander Student Current Account."

I tried 3 branches in Sheffield and also rang their complaints team and have been told I'm ineligible for this. I did get £15 compensation for going into branch and then ringing to confirm the information on the website was incorrect.

I don't really need the overdraft so any ideas of the next best account for me?

Thanks
  • Sassypeep
    Options
    Sorry, just read the above posts. So not just me then!
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting to hear. I'm not doubting your experiences. I do have a natwest student account (unused) as well as a 123 account, so said I was switching from natwest. It did cause a lot of confusion.
  • kaloss
    kaloss Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I already have other current accounts with other banks and I should be eligible to open a student account with santender since I am a student.
    I don't need another account so I was wondering which one of the following is feasible:
    1) Opening the account, getting the railcard and then close it
    2) Opening the account, getting the railcard, and then forgetting about the account (not paying in those 500£ per term)
    3) Opening the account, getting the railcard and then move 500£ in at each term and then move them back to my main account right after that

Is any of the 3 possible?
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kaloss wrote: »
    This is the easiest option. No fuss.
    2) Opening the account, getting the railcard, and then forgetting about the account (not paying in those 500£ per term)
    You can do this, but there's not much point. The £500 is simply required for the overdraft and other 'perks' that don't matter if you already have the railcard and won't use the overdraft.
    3) Opening the account, getting the railcard and then move 500£ in at each term and then move them back to my main account right after that
    For the same reason above, there is also little point to this if you're not going to use the account.

However, you could apply for the overdraft, take 95% of the money out, put it in a savings account, and then transfer £500 in and out of the student account each term.
  • daisies79
    Options
    I went into a santander branch for the first time the other day. I had tried to open the student account online originally but because i'm second year, it said go in branch. So I did. I got to the counter and the woman could barely even bring herself to ask me to come to the till. I asked politely if I could open a student account and explained what had happened online. Without offering any help whatsoever, the first thing that came out of her mouth was, "we only offer railcards to first years". I worked at Nationwide for years and I know for a fact, I'd get the sack if I was so abrupt and rude like that. Her colleague tried to contest her and I explained I'd seen nothing on the internet that excluded certain people from ANY of the benefits. She did even offer to open an account for me any way. What an awful face for Santander. Now I have checked everywhere and seen no exclusions I am looking forward to A opening an account and B complaining about the awful service I received. No matter what kind of crappy day someones had does not entitle them to be rude to customers.
  • Cairez
    Cairez Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    I assume this is what you were told in branch? If so, you could go to a different branch or call them because I believe this to be incorrect. When I went to my local branch the staff didn't know how to open my student account as I already have a 123. After they spent 20 minutes on the phone with HQ they reported I could 'upgrade' my 123 to a student account.

There is nothing in the T+Cs to stop you opening an account, so make them aware of this.

We were told in branch and head office when my mum rang up and on my behalf posed as me and demanded to know why I wasn't accepted for a student account, head office said to us thy I am not eligible for a student account because I am already with them - they cannot even close my current account and make a new student account

Needless to say, I have opened another account with another bank (the co-op) and am leaving them for good.
  • Planahead
    Planahead Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My offspring has a healthy balance in their 16-18 account with Santander. Website said to swap to a Student account - call into branch. What they didn't say was that a] you need to make an appointment and b] Santander couldn't give a stuff about students. Like OPs the cashier was so rude and when I complained she told me the manager was busy. He was hiding in a cubicle around the corner so I asked to have a word - he was completely hopeless - he'd obviously heard the conversation with his rude cashier but didn't want to assist us. We weren't able to come back the next day for an appointment so went back home and went online. Followed all the instructions - screenshot gave an OLA number and it said my son would hear within 3 days - 10days and counting - we rang up and spent AN HOUR being passed from pillar to post - apparently his application had been declined! No explanation. Why not say earlier - he's going to Uni in a couple of weeks and needs to have this sorted. HOPELESS - needless to say - Santander will be losing this account.
  • penny_pincha
    Options
    Sassypeep wrote: »

I don't really need the overdraft

Just as well you don't need an overdraft. I accompanied my daughter opening a student Santander account today, she was offer a measly £250 overdraft. So much for their figure of £1500.

This was after going into branch last week after my daughter was assured on the phone she could open an account despite not actually being 18 then (she had her birthday yesterday) then to be told once there, she couldn't.

I wasn't impressed by the fact she had to conduct the meeting in earshot of other customers, so asked for a private room but the bank representative said they were busy. So I asked for one for this week but when we arrived she said again they were busy and the more private, out of the way desks were soon to be occupied. We were there over an hour and no-one came and sat at any of them. :angry:
  • penny_pincha
    penny_pincha Posts: 337 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2013 at 9:44AM
    Options

I heard it takes 3 weeks for it to arrive, so wait that long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure