Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ^^^
    They don't look very cheap either

e.g. Genuine HP cartridges
    HP56 - £18.40
    HP57 - £30.58 :eek:

You'll find these cheaper in your local supermarket! (which'll include the VAT!)

Edit: The posts by sidath appear to have now been removed
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used these for my Epson and fine on the Epson RX685

http://www.inkredible.co.uk/

Free next day delivery too

• jazzman1_2
    Options
    It is not always best to buy the cheapest ink you can find. Compatible Ink is not all the same. There are good and bad quality products on the market. I would suggest hitting the middle ground and getting real value for money and quality at a good price. Search google for reliable printer cartridges and visit printercartridges dot net. If you spend £15 or more you can get a £2 discount by using code rc1. Just a tip!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    inkclub or choice stationery

hmm, first time postings with recommendations always worry me.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Usually, compatible ink cartridges give fair value for money if you are not too discriminating. The most comon problem with them is that the ink "creeps" on the paper giving a slightly blurred look to text - not so noticeable in pictures.
    The text blurring is not too evident until you compare it against the same print done with an OEM cartidge from the printer manufacturer. If you are happy to accept this, then compatibles are OK.

Just check that the cartridge has the same content of ink as the originals and remember that with Epsons, on the first run, something like half the cartridge contents are used in filling the ink distribution pipework up to the print head - the pipes only need filling on the first use of the printer, but you may think that the cartridge did not last long - the next ones will last the expected time.

On HP printers that I have seen, the first-fill cartridge supplied has only two-thirds of the contents that the replacements have (16ml against 25ml if memory serves me right.) - but then they do not have pipework to fill.

I have bought compatibles for my Epson from 7dayshop.com and been happy with them until the last batch - they seem to have changed their own-brand suppliers and the blacks have been smudgy and inconsistent - won't be buying them again.
  • DarkieBoy
    Options
    Beware! Cheap ink cartridges are not always the best!! I buy Jet Tec ink cartridges from www. UK Ink Supplies .net for my Epson DX7400 printer and they are brilliant, even though not quite the cheapest brand. I am told that because they are made in the UK they are not illegal like Chinese ones can be. Jet Tec ink cartridges even come with extra life so my printing lasts longer than Epson ink cartridges!

James.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2010 at 6:01PM
    Options
    Thanks DarkieBoy seem to have signed up just to promote that company

:spam: darkieboy makes habit of advertising that web site

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=DarkieBoy+ukinksupplies&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=DarkieBoy+ukinksupplies&fp=33a9a577caa4e7cb
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Try these I have had no problem with them.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Why are Chinese Ink Jet Cartridges illegal?

I want to make sure I don't get arrested for eating my Ken Hom Ready Meals.
  • andyrad
    andyrad Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    sorry to drag this old thread up again but can anyone tell me the best printer for printing good photos and with reasonable priced ink cartridges, looking to spend between £50 and £80
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure