Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories

Options

Comments

• dcweather
    Options
    You were very lucky!! I live in Basildon and I live in one of 3 pairs of identical semi-detached houses. The one I am joined to is in band C despite some massive home improvements including extension and extra bedrooms. They are in band C, I'm in band D. One of the others is in band B ! I put this to the VOA together with the fact that my house has devalued by 20% due to the area being run down in the last twenty years and I was refused!! No sense or logic. Very upset.
  • Cohech
    Options
    Local Borough Council: Dacorum
    Council Tax Band Before: G
    Council Tax Band After: F
    Amount refunded: £754.89

Our neighbour was in a lower band (F) than us (G). They recently sold their house for substantially more than ours is worth. This got us thinking that we were in the wrong band. We contacted the VOA who were reasonably friendly and helpful. We worked with them to provide justification and they went off to investigate. Got a letter within a few weeks informing us that we had been re-banded. :T

We then contacted our borough council who issued a refund. Happy days :)
  • Bargaingeek
    Options
    Local Council : East Ayrshire council, Scotland
    Council Tax Band before : B
    Council Tax Band after : A
    Amount refunded : £2196
    Annual Saving going forward : £254

The whole process took around 6 weeks ! Very straight forward and we are well pleased with the outcome ! Just in time for Xmas ! :xmastree::xmassign:
  • NeilJ66
    NeilJ66 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Local council: Gwynedd, North Wales
    Council tax band in 1993 listing: D
    Council tax band in 2005 listing: F
    Council tax band after challenge: D
    Bought a nice cottage in Wales in March 2015, originally a D but increased to an F in 2005 although no work had been carried out in the meantime. Identical semi detached next door was a D in 1993 and stayed a D in 2005. I was a bit suspicious so did as much research as I could in the 6 month window. It's a semi rural area and the only identical house was next door - was I going to get their band increased rather than mine dropped? I searched around a 3 mile radius for similar properties and found a few; most were a D and much bigger houses were no higher than an E. I submitted my challenge to the VOA 2 weeks short of my 6 month cut off and got an acknowledgement letter within a week. 3 weeks after this they wanted to view the property but unfortunately I couldn't be at the house on the day, chased them up the week after and received an e mail and confirmation letter than we were being reduced to a D.
    My suspicion all along was the wrong house had been valued for the 2005 rebanding process.
    A lot of the council tax guides say that challenging the band really only applies to England as Wales had the rebanding exercise which cleared up any anomalies but there are still a few out there as can be seen from my example. Still waiting for a revised bill from the Council, will post an update when received.
  • Jennibee
    Options
    Local Council Dudley West Mids
    Previous band E
    Now Band D
    Refund from 1993
    Amount just over £4500 plus the remainder of this years payments no longer required so another £450

Followed Martin's format of researching local area and then contacted the agency. Received acknowledgement within a week and decision within a month. Probably helped that a few houses in this street had previously had band lowered. Money credited to my bank from council within 5 days of receiving letter. Thank you very much Martin
  • scottpbradford
    Options
    Claimed through the SSA web page and have just called council and been told we are to get £4700 refunded after being in Band F and now Band E.

What a result.

We had tried to claim about a year after moving in and were told we were too late after 6 month time limit. So glad I read all the information available as now it takes no time at all and only requires a little initial research.

Years of paying too much and now we are much happier and £350 a year better off.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Newark & Sherwood District Council.

Council tax band 1993 - Band E
    Council tax band appeal 2005 sucessful - Band D
    Council tax band 2015 - Band E

Out of the blue the council tax band has been changed back to a Band E and the new appeal was unsuccessful.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Mossey2
    Options
    Milton Keynes Council
    Council Tax band D
    New band confirmed. C
    Awaiting refund

Not heard from Council for 6 weeks after VA confirmed band being lowered. Do I need to write to Council or should refund be automatic
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Refund should be automatic, but a 6 week wait isn't that excessive and they may credit your 2016/17 CT bill with any refund due. No harm in writing or phoning to find out what's happening
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Mossey2
    Options
    Milton Keynes Council
    Council Tax band D
    Lowered to band C
    Refund £1774

Amazed. Was so simple to do thanks to this site. Thank you Martin !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback