PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mobile homes

Options
bbarroso
bbarroso Posts: 103 Forumite
edited 5 September 2017 at 5:41AM in House buying, renting & selling
I was pondering the option to buy a mobile home, as a more attractive option to renting. I see many of these are in quiet suburban locations, away from party teens and busy neighbourhoods, and therefore it makes sense to evaluate all my options...

I'm guessing by buying one I could avoid all the mortgage hassle and would not loose my money entirely, as with renting. I read mixed reviews about this type of properties.

Any advice?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bbarroso wrote: »
    I'm guessing by buying one I could avoid all the mortgage hassle and would not loose my money entirely, as with renting.
    But you will (probably) be renting the land, your glorified caravan is only going to depreciate in value, and the leases tend to be rather one-sided.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The only time I would have one is on my own land, I have friends who have one and it is fabulous with none of the stereotypical views of a caravan. Once inside its like a small flat and you really wouldnt notice the difference to a building.

My reservation would be some people still look on them as trailer trash and resale may be hard. Depending on your park its not always a cheaper option.

If I were looking for cheaper accomodation I'd probably go down the narrowboat or log cabin option or even tap into the bohemian side and convert a large vehicle and go wherever I fancied.

Bricks and morter are so last century lol and having watched a couple last night search for a 2 bed flat at 445,000 that is a huge milstone around you neck
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The pitfalls are:

They depreciate in value as they get older. Like a car, the worst value is to buy a brand new one.

You rent the land, check what the rent is and how much it is likely to go up.

They are expensive to heat, the walls are very thin and not much insulation.

When you sell it on site, the site owner can legally claim up to 10% of the sale price as commission.

Some sites will have an age limit, so when your unit reaches that age you will have to remove it and replace it with a newer one. Check those sorts of detail in the site rental agreement very carefully.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    they are more usually called PARK HOMES now rather than mobile homes

you will not get a mortgage as lenders won't lend on them because they depreciate in value, they do not increase or remain stable, they go down in value because they are just like a car, they get old and become worthless.

if you cannot buy for cash you will need a personal loan. The interest rate on that may be high and the repayment term certainly will not be decades.

there are loads of threads covering the rest of the facts of owning a park home - use the search function, you are not a newbie
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To add to the above excellent points, each park will also define how long you can actually stay there. Year round is rare, many often just have 2 week exclusions in Feb but some are longer.

The homes themselves can be excellent, my parents have one that my dad stays in most of the year as he works on the park. Its roomy, central heating, double glazing and they even have a private garden. However they know the owners well, there are a lot of horror stories about losing mountains of cash through fees/resale/depreciation/age limits.
  • gingercordial
    Options
    Some parks may also require that you get your utilities through specific providers that they have a kick-back arrangement with. Needless to say, they will not be the cheapest deals out there so you will be overpaying for your electricity bill.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mobile homes wear out and depreciate like a car, whereas the idea with a house is it is a home for life that holds its value.

* Mobile homes wear out, getting increasingly expensive to repair until the site typically requires you to replace it. A house has a lower maintenance cost relative to its value and wouldn't need replacing. After you've paid off the mortgage, expect to be able to live there for life.

* Mobile homes depreciate like a car so you lose the decrease in value whereas a house is expected to hold its value or appreciate with inflation, meaning your only cost is the interest.

* Mobile homes face land rent, regulations and the site owner can impose their restrictions on who can live there, whether you can let, mandatory vacancy periods, restrictions on the sale, etc. A freehold house has little/no regular mandatory payments and minimal regulations (only those imposed by council not a superior landlord.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just to give you an idea of true value. We are currently living in a small 28ft single unit, on our own land while we build a house. That's a 2000 model and it cost us £4500 to buy it and have it transported to our site. Now go and compare what the asking prices are for even the smallest unit on a site.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Park home sales are usually targeted at over 50s as the majority of park home parks have minimum age restriction for occupiers and these also tend to prohibit under 16s living there permanently (grandchildren can visit and stay for a few days.

Heating and insulation in a proper park home (as opposed to a static caravan) will be to a high standard. Year round occupation will be allowed as ph parks are for permanent living. The majority of ph will be double width (twin) units usually 36ft x 20ft or larger, smaller and single units are available. New twin units are not cheap, you're looking at six figures sited, £200K+ on a good park is not unusual
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Park home sales are usually targeted at over 50s
    In the context of Rightmove "park home" is merely the generic category under which caravans / mobile homes / static caravans &/or park homes are listed

i agree however you do have to read each listing carefully for any age restrictions (and any of the other restrictions already discussed)

for example:
    no age restriction but no pets: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61526260.html

holiday use only: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66232112.html and incredibly with only 8 years lease remaining that means the annual holiday will cost £7,750 per year

no restrictions at all: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49932300.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure