PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you have a full structural survey on a flat?

Options
Would you have a full structural survey on a flat built in the 50s/60s or is a Homebuyers report enough?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You'll prob find you're not able to anyway unless they can gain access to the entire building.

How big is the block?

Is it ex-LA? Flat roof?

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Lamy_2
    Lamy_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Ex la but no flat roof. Probably about 12 in the block
  • Lamy_2
    Options
    Previously when I'd bought flats they've been period so I've always had full buildings but I'm unsure if it's necessary in this case.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lamy wrote: »
    Previously when I'd bought flats they've been period so I've always had full buildings but I'm unsure if it's necessary in this case.

So more like one up, one down? Easier to survey. Doubt you'll be able to find anyone who can offer a FSS on a flat in a block of 12.

Councils often just send you a bill for major work needed. Tread carefully (several posts about it on here). You don't want a bill for several thousand for new windows/roof/exterior painting land on your doormat.

Presume there's not a lift. If there is, it's another problem area with bills, especially when council owned.

(Presuming some of it still is council owned/run and not all privately owned.)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Lamy_2
    Options
    Yes, it is still part council owned, but all the council flats in the area have just gone through major works.
    No lift.

Yes, previous flats were large Victorian houses divided into 2 flats, and 4 flats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure