Triodos Bank Current Account

Options

Comments

• Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I suspect that they'll add Post Office access as it's pretty much essential for a branchless current account - unless you never use cash/cheques.

I'm not so sure they will. If they were interested in doing this, they would have arranged this before launch, surely.

For me, an account that doesn't let me deposit cash isn't a workable current account. I don't need to often, but I would expect to be able to.

I'm staying with the Co-op for now.
  • Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    £3/mth for no benefits, and no FSCS protection? 18% overdraft charges, and 2.5% foreign transaction fees.

"Ethical".

Was about to post the same...

They won't do well in UK at all.....
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lith wrote: »
    Was about to post the same...

They won't do well in UK at all.....

Aren't you living in Hong-Kong and using a relatives UK address for all your questionable UK credit applications?
  • mdnn85
    mdnn85 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think I would be prepared to pay £3.00 a month for an account that offers no interest or FSCS protection.
  • Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Aren't you living in Hong-Kong and using a relatives UK address for all your questionable UK credit applications?

You must be mistaken with someone else ? lol
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    £3/mth for no benefits, and no FSCS protection? 18% overdraft charges, and 2.5% foreign transaction fees.

"Ethical".

Triodos Bank in the UK is part of Triodos Bank NV, based in the Netherlands. That means it is covered by the Dutch deposit-guarantee scheme, which guarantees up to €100,000 (£84,450) per person. For joint accounts held in the names of two people it is €200,000. As an extra safeguard.

https://www.triodos.co.uk/en/about-triodos/important-information/deposit-guarantee-scheme/
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Triodos Bank in the UK is part of Triodos Bank NV, based in the Netherlands. That means it is covered by the Dutch deposit-guarantee scheme, which guarantees up to €100,000 (£84,450) per person. For joint accounts held in the names of two people it is €200,000. As an extra safeguard.
    That's precisely what I said. No FSCS protection.
  • stclair
    edited 2 May 2017 at 10:48AM
    Options
    You'll be covered under the dutch scheme which is virtually the same amout as the uk scheme. 100,000 Euro is our equivalent to 85k unless I'm missing something.

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2017-04-26/triodos-to-launch-ethical-current-account-how-does-it-compare
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Those of us with long memories will recall much the same arguments being made about IceSave in 2006.....it was all covered under the Icelandic compensation scheme equivalent so "it's all fine".

Well we all know exactly how that worked out don't we?
    For those on here that do not, when Icesave collapsed the Icelandic government basically said we are not paying - anyone: end of Story
    The UK government ended up stepping in voluntarily to refund Icesavers paid for by UK taxpayers.

Now Icesave was marketed heavily in Holland and the UK.
    Interestingly at the same time the Dutch government seemed rather reluctant to do the same for its own citizens -and I cannot remember what happened to the Dutch hapless Icesave savers in the end.
    So for me anyway I'll think I will be giving a miss to even thinking the Dutch government might refund some foreign savers (ie in UK) if a similar event took place on one of their regulated banks.
    Even if they did not actually refuse outright they could always make it awkward by say requiring UK savers to attend in person in Holland with ID papers to claim a refund.

Beware also that any disputes may have to be dealt with by the Dutch complaint system (whatever that is) and not by our own Financial ombudsman facilities.
    So good luck with that in making a complaint should you need to.
  • stclair
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Those of us with long memories will recall much the same arguments being made about IceSave in 2006.....it was all covered under the Icelandic compensation scheme equivalent so "it's all fine".

Well we all know exactly how that worked out don't we?
    For those on here that do not, when Icesave collapsed the Icelandic government basically said we are not paying - anyone: end of Story
    The UK government ended up stepping in voluntarily to refund Icesavers paid for by UK taxpayers.

Now Icesave was marketed heavily in Holland and the UK.
    Interestingly at the same time the Dutch government seemed rather reluctant to do the same for its own citizens -and I cannot remember what happened to the Dutch hapless Icesave savers in the end.
    So for me anyway I'll think I will be giving a miss to even thinking the Dutch government might refund some foreign savers (ie in UK) if a similar event took place on one of their regulated banks.
    Even if they did not actually refuse outright they could always make it awkward by say requiring UK savers to attend in person in Holland with ID papers to claim a refund.

Beware also that any disputes may have to be dealt with by the Dutch complaint system (whatever that is) and not by our own Financial ombudsman facilities.
    So good luck with that in making a complaint should you need to.

Complaints will be dealt with by the FOS:

https://www.triodos.co.uk/downloads/at-how-to-complain.pdf?audience=About%20Triodos
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family