We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Online perennials

Options
Hi I'm looking to add some colour to my new garden and want to buy some perennials so there low maintenance and come back year every year, could anyone recommend an online slice that would do a selection in one hit as I have no idea what's best to go for and would prefer a selection so to speak maybe with shrubs also? , looking at spending about £15-£20

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would ask on your local Freegle site if anyone is splitting up their perennials and see what you can get for free.

You won't get many plants for £20.

Otherwise, have a look through the seed company websites. You won't get such an instant hit but you'll get a lot of seeds for that money.
  • chriz1
    chriz1 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah I don't really want seeds as I haven't got the time to sow them etc want something I can plant and admire, just something to get me started this year be fine
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Keep an eye on Aldi and Lidl - they have good plant offers at this time of year.
  • Ossy
    Ossy Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Many of the seed companies also sell plant collections Spalding Bulbs also sell a comprehensive range. The garden magazines may be of help. Most sellers do an autumn and spring range catalogues of plants:)
    I am sure you will get many hours from your plants. I have just thought Ebay may be of help.
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thompson and Morgan do perennial collections for about £20
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants

They periodically have free p&p too, but you have just missed a free shipping weekend.

This collection is plug plants - so not seeds but not 'shrub' size either. Good quality plants from this retailer.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Thompson and Morgan do perennial collections for about £20
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants

That's amazing value!
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    Just be aware that the offers of "60 perennial plants for £20" will get you tiny plug-plants that need to be cared for in a coldframe until planting out and will only get going next year

I'd spend £2 on a box mixed annual seeds that'll give you loads of colour this year and spend some time sourcing perennials from plants fairs, car boots, local horticultural sociaity etc
  • sobie
    sobie Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    GO to your local garden centre or nursery.

Most nurseries will have some plants from last year kicking about that they will give you for next to nothing (need the space to get new plants in) and they'll be decent sized that you can split them up and get 3-5 garden ready plants for no more than a couple of quid.

Independant Garden centres (like mine) are now getting in 9cm potted perennials as season starters, they are generally less than £2 each and on multibuy deals you'll get 3 plants for a fiver (typical price). They will also have a hardy plant guarentee (unlike supermarkets).

Remember loads of perennials aren't shooting yet (depending on where you live) so don't write off bargains just because they appear a bit ropy. When it comes to perennials don't be affraid to tip the plant out of the pot and check the roots (we don't mind) good roots = good plant.
  • chriz1
    chriz1 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help will these plug plants not flower this year then?
    And will the seed version as mentioned above be better?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The £shop is a good place to start.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport