PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Menu...

Options

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will share ours but it won't give anyone any inspiration. Same every year.

Roast Turkey (never a crown) roast potatoes, parsnips, Brussels and stuffing balls.
    Christmas pudding and brandy sauce.

Tea is the same every year. Cheese, biscuits, ham, pork pie and sausage rolls.

We don't have a special breakfast. OH will probably have a bacon sandwich or toast and I will have boiled egg on toast which is what I currently have. :rotfl:
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ours is very traditional, and a little dull if you’re looking for inspiration.
    No starter.
    Christmas nut roast for the vegetarians.
    Turkey and sausages for the meat eaters. hm sage and onion stuffing balls, bread sauce, mashed potatoes, sprouts, peas with spring onions, mashed carrot and swede, green beans, leeks and roast parsnips. We have anvery productive allotment and like a LOT of vegetables and I might do red cabbage with apple and caraway seeds as well if the mood takes me..
    Dessert will be either nut tart (I only ever make this at Christmas as the calories are frightening) Christmas pudding, trifle or fresh fruit.
    People help themselves to breakfast, nothing cooked though, and we eat late. There will be a cheese board, hm bread, lots of fruit and a bowls of salad on the side in the kitchen and and people usually just help themselves if they're hungry, either to leftovers or the extras. We play board games in the afternoon.
    Goodness it does look excessive written don, but there will be 8 of us this year and I’ll be surprised if anything much is left after Boxing Day. Last year the trifle was eaten by my sons friends for breakfast on Boxing Day. :) What it is to be young :rotfl:
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is what I'll be cooking for Christmas lunch this year :

Celeriac and white truffle soup cups

Scallops on parsnip puree with parsnip crisps and pomegranate

Roast turkey, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, sage and onion stuffing, sausagemeat stuffing, glazed sprouts with caramelised red onion, bread sauce, cranberry relish, Yorkshire puddings, orange butter glazed carrots, gravy

Sherry trifle / orange mascarpone mousse / chocolate tart

Cheeseboard
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    I know it's tradition, but some of your plates must be size of manhole covers to fit in all that food! What's with all the veg too? So many different varieties. Why?? I suppose it's because you like them, but still four or five different veg sides. OMG.

But whatever you like, enjoy.

For us it's more of a selection/ being able to choose. Not everybody will get everything. As there are 8-10 of us it's more about catering for different tastes (btw the host doesn't cook it all, everybody brings some of it). Some might have the boiled tatties and carrots, I prefer sprouts and croquets. It'll fit on a normal size plate and mostly we plan so that there are even hardly any leftovers for the next day. That's what makes it special for us as it's different to a normal family roast, more like a buffet to choose from.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • chella
    chella Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    Breakfast is home cooked croissants and bucks fizz, Danish pastries also home made if wanted and Ferrero rochers!! We have breakfast while opening some gifts.

Christmas dinner is roast chicken, stuffing, pigs in blankets, carrot swede mash, carrots,sprouts, Yorkshires, gravy. I have a bread sauce to make also.

Evening is a cheese board, bubbly, cold cuts of belly pork and a salad. and more chocolate I expect.

Port and baileys/coffee/tea mince pies in the evening if wanted.

then repeat the last 2 sentences over the next few days til everything's gone.
  • Vates
    Vates Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I go my Sister's every year. I'm a pescatarian so slightly different menu for me.

Christmas eve my Sister is making macaroni cheese plus some nibbly bits or party food.

Breakfast is pancakes with maple syrup and bacon. Bananas for me.

Lunch starter is smoked salmon pate and baked camembert with nice bread. Followed by turkey with all the trimmings for the meat eaters and I'm having butternut squash & sweet potato rosti with roasted potatoes and vegetables.

Pudding this year is a dessert from Aldi. Toffee and pecan roulade.

Various nibbles around teatime. Cheeses, turkey rolls, prawns, etc.
    I'm a professional cynic but my heart's not in it
  • worn_out_mum
    Options
    It's DH's birthday christmas day so he chooses what we have, which is what we do for every bodies birthdays. This year we are having a barbeque - Steak, chicken and sausages, boiled baby spuds, salad and coleslaw then Eton mess for us and chocolate mousse for the kids.
    Breakfast is croissants and pain au chocolat and tea is salads, cold meats, salad, cheese and crackers and birthday cake.
    All but breakfast is homemade.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    I know it's tradition, but some of your plates must be size of manhole covers to fit in all that food! What's with all the veg too? So many different varieties. Why?? I suppose it's because you like them, but still four or five different veg sides. OMG.

It is not unusual for there to be at least three different veggies with a main meal for me....tonight will probably be broccoli, carrots, and sugar-snap peas....possibly a few sprouts too. ...and this is just an 'ordinary' night.....Christmas Day will include a few more!

I am more surprised at the people who have three different sorts of meat on the table...we will enjoy small portions of one type of meat.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2017 at 10:04AM
    Options
    Just because the day has a name, it doesn't gift me the ability to eat much more than any other day :(

I'll be having a "traditional basic" Christmas, undecided at present, but probably: turkey, Yorkshire pudding, stuffing, roast spud, roast parsnips, brussels, carrots, swede mash, couple of pigs without blankets. I am toying with the idea of making a nut roast but by the time I get the above on my plate there probably wouldn't be room - my plate's not overly large, just "small but oval so you can squeeze a bit more on".

No cranberry sauce, no bread sauce. Just gravy.

No breakfast, no starter, no dessert, no "tea" later.

There's just me, so variety has to go out the window really.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We are very traditional aswell.

Breakfast - scrambled eggs , smoked salmon, toast, White Champagne

Lunch - Pink Champagne

Starter - seafood canap!s, mini bread rolls, basically anything fishy from M & S.

About 2.30pm - Turkey / beef / gammon, roasties, pigs in blankets, carrot / swede mash, sprouts and parsnips done in honey drizzle and bacon lardons, cauli cheese, peas, bread sauce , cranberry, gravy

Desert , xmas pud or trifle for anyone who can fit it in

There after the rest of the day more fizz , chocolate and picky bits with a cheeseboard for anyone who can eat more.

Dogs - main meal of beef joint shared between all of them with all the doggy appropriate trimmings,
    They all have doggy selection boxes as gifts so will probably eat some of that aswell.

Horses - carrots
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport