How to break the exercise inertia ?

Options
I can see how easy it is not to exercise.

You commute to work in your car, sit down at a desk all day with the most walking done just across the office to the photocopier. You eat a sandwich at your desk and dont move all afternoon until you get in your car to go back home.

You are then shattered from a days inertia and lack of fresh air, walk to the kitchen to make a bowl of pasta and then to the sofa for an evening telly. Up to bed and it all starts again the next day.

Weekends are spent doing chores and shopping ready for it all to start again the following week.

You have to be really motivated to build exercise in your routine and not many people are prepared to be at the gym at six am or 8pm.

I realise a sedentary life is no good so have just joined a walking club to break this cycle. 8 - 10 miles a weekend is better than nothing.

Comments

• dixon-bainbridge
    Options
    Excuses, excuses, excuses. Everyone gets the same 24 hours in their day and you can get a decent bit of exercise in 30 to 45 mins, so I always find it amusing when people say there isn't time - make time!

You don't need to go to a gym - get out of bed 30mins earlier then normal and go for a brisk walk, HIIT workout, yoga.. whatever. Your exercise for the day is done and dusted before you even get to work.

Do you need to commute by car? - Walk or cycle?
    Are you forced to eat your lunch at your desk? - Get up and go for a walk or run
    Be more organised and meal plan - you can cook decent nutritious meals in 15-30 mins (check out Joe Wicks).
    Just don't turn the TV on!

If you are stuck in the routine you state then make small steps to change it. The weekend walking is a good start. Start off getting up early one morning, increase that to 2 days etc.

Ultimately, it's your health and you are the only one that can do something about it.

PS. I'm also an office worker who does long hours.
    Learn to speak Norfolk:
    Translations: Naarfok = Norfolk, Narridge = Norwich, jargon = like running, but slower, cooo = queue, how're yer gettin arn = Norfolk greeting, on the huh = Something being uneven.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't understand this whole 'make time' thing. It is one of those catch phrase sayings that don't actually offer a solution.

Cutting down on sleep, in order to get up earlier to exercise is not healthy.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it is. You can cut half an hours tv in the evening and go to bed half hour earlier to rise half hour earlier. Whats not healthy?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • ska_lover
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 2:10PM
    Options
    Yes it is. You can cut half an hours tv in the evening and go to bed half hour earlier to rise half hour earlier. Whats not healthy?

That seems a different topic - You are talking about adjusting sleep pattern, going to bed earlier and getting up earlier- that's not actually getting less sleep - it is just adjusting it - and there actually seems to be benefits to going to bed earlier

The previous poster had suggested just get up earlier- cutting down on sleep

As I said, cutting down on sleep is not healthy. Adjusting sleep timings is not the same thing

There are so many different types of lifestyle not just sitting in front of the Tele of an evening. For many of us, downtime doesn't happen at 5pm.

For example, how would anyone suggest a nurse on shifts 'finds time' - finishing at 9.30pm, drive home, eat something, shower, in bed by 11.30 if lucky, and back up at 6am to be back on the ward by 7.30am?

I just think that phrases like ''find the time'' whilst being told I need to ''watching less TV'' (I don't even own a TV) by a complete stranger who knows zero about my lifestyle, completely laughable, if I am honest
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Everyone can fit a half hour walk into their day surely?

If you are an office worker, Im assuming you get an hour or half an hours lunch break? If its an hour.......then there you go. Half of that can be used to go for a walk. In my industry (catering) I get a 15 min break all day so that is used for purely eating but Im on my feet all day .
    I will occasionally walk home which is exactly half an hour. I understand if its a long commute this isnt possible.

After evening meal.......make it a routine to get half hour walk in before you switch the telly on. It takes the time that Coronation street is on.
    There are umpteen exercise routines on you tube so choose one you fanvy and give it a go.
    Yoga is something that needs little equipment and is so beneficial.
    There really is no need to not do ANY exercise.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • ska_lover
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Everyone can fit a half hour walk into their day surely?

If you are an office worker, Im assuming you get an hour or half an hours lunch break? If its an hour.......then there you go. Half of that can be used to go for a walk. In my industry (catering) I get a 15 min break all day so that is used for purely eating but Im on my feet all day .
    I will occasionally walk home which is exactly half an hour. I understand if its a long commute this isnt possible.

After evening meal.......make it a routine to get half hour walk in before you switch the telly on. It takes the time that Coronation street is on.
    There are umpteen exercise routines on you tube so choose one you fanvy and give it a go.
    Yoga is something that needs little equipment and is so beneficial.
    There really is no need to not do ANY exercise.

Do you work part time? I ask because anything over six hours of work, your employer could be breaking the law by not giving you 20 minutes at least, as I understand it. A full time worker should be getting more break
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »

I just think that phrases like ''find the time'' whilst being told I need to ''watching less TV'' (I don't even own a TV) by a complete stranger who knows zero about my lifestyle, completely laughable, if I am honest
    I don't think these phrases are addressed to you personally, shrugs.

Having seen many elderly people who have no option but to sit down and watch TV all day, I don't want to get there yet, but horses for courses I guess.

I motivate myself by wanting to get fit, keep healthy and keep my body in as good form as possible. I use classes as I find they motivate me the most, OP. It is time consuming but as they say, you're a long time dead.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • ska_lover
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 3:04PM
    Options
    I don't think these phrases are addressed to you personally, shrugs.

Having seen many elderly people who have no option but to sit down and watch TV all day, I don't want to get there yet, but horses for courses I guess.

I motivate myself by wanting to get fit, keep healthy and keep my body in as good form as possible. I use classes as I find they motivate me the most, OP. It is time consuming but as they say, you're a long time dead.

Yes you are right, I know it's not about me personally, however I was just making the point that we all have completely different lifestyles yet the ''advice'' is always the same - to find time. It can be off-putting and not very inclusive to people who have a less flexible lifestyle. You did actually address me further up and tell me to watch less TV per evening- It's like a lot of people think there is a 'one size fits all' solution - and I would love to hear practical advice and programmes from shift workers, busy parents etc.

Glad to hear you are doing well with your motivation, I wonder where is mine? :)
  • dixon-bainbridge
    Options
    I don't understand this whole 'make time' thing. It is one of those catch phrase sayings that don't actually offer a solution.

Cutting down on sleep, in order to get up earlier to exercise is not healthy.

In my reply I offered several solutions - getting up earlier, going for a lunch walk, meal prepping etc.

I didn't say they should cut down on their sleep, I said they COULD get up earlier. They can always go to sleep 30 mins earlier.
    Yes you are right, I know it's not about me personally, however I was just making the point that we all have completely different lifestyles yet the ''advice'' is always the same - to find time. It can be off-putting and not very inclusive to people who have a less flexible lifestyle. You did actually address me further up and tell me to watch less TV per evening- It's like a lot of people think there is a 'one size fits all' solution - and I would love to hear practical advice and programmes from shift workers, busy parents etc

Glad to hear you are doing well with your motivation, I wonder where is mine? :)

My reply was directed at the original poster who clearly stated they are an office worker and spend their time in the evenings watching TV, so I'm not sure why you have taken exception to it.
    That seems a different topic - You are talking about adjusting sleep pattern, going to bed earlier and getting up earlier- that's not actually getting less sleep - it is just adjusting it - and there actually seems to be benefits to going to bed earlier

The previous poster had suggested just get up earlier- cutting down on sleep

As I said, cutting down on sleep is not healthy. Adjusting sleep timings is not the same thing

There are so many different types of lifestyle not just sitting in front of the Tele of an evening. For many of us, downtime doesn't happen at 5pm.

For example, how would anyone suggest a nurse on shifts 'finds time' - finishing at 9.30pm, drive home, eat something, shower, in bed by 11.30 if lucky, and back up at 6am to be back on the ward by 7.30am?

As above. I was replying to the lifestyle of the original poster - I'm confused why you are bringing up nurses and shift workers - that has nothing to do with the OP's situation.
    Learn to speak Norfolk:
    Translations: Naarfok = Norfolk, Narridge = Norwich, jargon = like running, but slower, cooo = queue, how're yer gettin arn = Norfolk greeting, on the huh = Something being uneven.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 3:32PM
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I can see how easy it is not to exercise.

You commute to work in your car (too far to bike occasionally?), sit down at a desk all day with the most walking done just across the office to the photocopier. You eat a sandwich at your desk (which takes only 5-10 min, get up and leave the office for the rest of lunch time? makes me so much more productive in the afternoon) and dont move all afternoon until you get in your car to go back home.

You are then shattered from a days inertia and lack of fresh air, walk to the kitchen to make a bowl of pasta and then to the sofa for an evening telly (go for a walk right after dinner before the telly goes on or a jog before tea?). Up to bed and it all starts again the next day.

Weekends are spent doing chores and shopping (all 48hrs?) ready for it all to start again the following week.

You have to be really motivated to build exercise in your routine and not many people are prepared to be at the gym at six am or 8pm.

I realise a sedentary life is no good so have just joined a walking club to break this cycle. 8 - 10 miles a weekend is better than nothing.

Well done on joining the walking club, good start. I work full time, commute in a car and have the kids after work. I sometimes take the bike to work and am lucky enough to have a gym across from my work where I spend 30 min of each lunchtime. It is possible but I also totally get how hard it is to get started and not make time but just find the time that is already there.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure