ESA Support Group And Received ESA50

Options

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i thought the maximum ESA award was for 3 years?

i was sent an ESA40 at the beginning of May. sent it back within the week and heard nothing.

honed in the middle of June to be told it was sent straight back to a decision maker.
    received a letter on 14th July saying supper foe again.

11th august received an ESA50.
    phoned and asked how long my award was. 3 years.
    so why another ESA50?
    input into the system incorrectly and ignore it.

will wait a month nd see if they suspend benefit i suppose ;)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    3 years is my understanding too.

It's possible OP was given 3 years last time, and due to a backlog has only just been sent another ESA50.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the ESA50 i received in May was the first since i started my clim in 2011
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 14 August 2017 at 7:19PM
    Options
    ATOS quit in early 2014, so it's quite possible my previous statement applied in your case too.

Maximus didn't start until approximately a year later by which time there would have been a significant backlog.

I know in my area they focused on new claims for around a year and then looked at reassessments for those in WRAG. Whether nationally the priority was the same I do not know.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2017 at 8:30PM
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Hi,
    You were most likely due a reassessment, i know it may seem like moving and changing your address has triggered this off but i doubt that. You can ring them and extend the time to send it back by 14 days. In the meantime i'd advice ringing CAB or your local disability advice centre who'll help you fill it in. Gather as much evidence as you can ready to send this with the form, copies only of course. If you have enough evidence you may not even need a face 2 face assessment. I didn't last year with mine, i had a paper based decision and i was kept in the support group. Good luck.

The deadline cannot be extended under ANY circumstances.

The deadline does not apply to people who ESA have recorded as having mental Health issues.

Phone either:
    CHDA 08002 888777 and ask
    If there is a Mental Health Tag = YES on your MSRS referral.
    But they might not tell you, being CHDA they probably don't know if they are allowed to tell you and probably will say phone DWP and ask them. I only suggest it because they are a freephone number.

DWP ESA Enquiry line and ask:
    Can you please look in my MSRS referral and tell me if it says Mental Health = YES ? This is the best place to look.
    HOWEVER
    If they don't know how to look for that in MSRS, ask them...
    "Can you look in my ESA screens in JA792 and tell me what the heatlh conditions you have listed are?" If they reply Depression, Anxiety, Stress, then these are the main ones which qualify, there are lots of others, but not everything you might expect, for example Alzheimers does not qualify as a mental health condition. If they are being sticklish and not wanting to tell you, ask to speak to a manager, and of they won't tell you any of the above,,, INSIST on a HOTT being sent for a callback from the ESA WCA department at the Benefit Centre and ask them the same questions.

I suspect, given your opening post, you have nothing to be concerned about regarding the deadline of the ESA50. You should do as I suggest to be sure, but then take your time get the help you need to fill it in, - photocopy it- then send signed for delivery. and check after 3 weeks (by phoning) that it is showing as received in MSRS.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    epitome wrote: »
    The deadline cannot be extended under ANY circumstances.

The deadline does not apply to people who ESA have recorded as having mental Health issues.

Phone either:
    CHDA 08002 888777 and ask
    If there is a Mental Health Tag = YES on your MSRS referral.
    But they might not tell you, being CHDA they probably don't know if they are allowed to tell you and probably will say phone DWP and ask them. I only suggest it because they are a freephone number.

DWP ESA Enquiry line and ask:
    Can you please look in my MSRS referral and tell me if it says Mental Health = YES ? This is the best place to look.
    HOWEVER
    If they don't know how to look for that in MSRS, ask them...
    "Can you look in my ESA screens in JA792 and tell me what the heatlh conditions you have listed are?" If they reply Depression, Anxiety, Stress, then these are the main ones which qualify, there are lots of others, but not everything you might expect, for example Alzheimers does not qualify as a mental health condition. If they are being sticklish and not wanting to tell you, ask to speak to a manager, and of they won't tell you any of the above,,, INSIST on a HOTT being sent for a callback from the ESA WCA department at the Benefit Centre and ask them the same questions.

I suspect, given your opening post, you have nothing to be concerned about regarding the deadline of the ESA50. You should do as I suggest to be sure, but then take your time get the help you need to fill it in, - photocopy it- then send signed for delivery. and check after 3 weeks (by phoning) that it is showing as received in MSRS.
    Very strange that since MY ESA form returning deadline was actually extended by 10 days last year! and i don't claim for mental health.
  • Digital_2012
    Options
    i have copy of previous esa50 form, i had f2f assessment in 2013 but that time i was only on one anti depressant now i am on three different anti depressants and beta blockers.

In 2013 i was not diagnosed Asperger's syndrome in 2014 i diagnosed Autism Spectrum Disorder. I have A a lot of letters from Autism people which i can send as a proof i will ask for more supporting letter from them.

My only worry is that the person i saw last time in CAB is so busy and also my GP too and i only have less than 28 days left so all i need one supporting letter from GP and cab appointment on time
  • epitome
    edited 15 August 2017 at 8:28AM
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Very strange that since MY ESA form returning deadline was actually extended by 10 days last year! and i don't claim for mental health.

There is no regulation that allows for an extension.

There is a Regulation which states that a claimant will be treated to have No Limited Capacity to Work if the requested information is not recieved within the prescribed time limits.

Any DWP employee who strays from this path is not following the law. What should happen if the deadline is reached is the case should be referred to a DM, if, by the time the DM gets the case, the form has not been received, then the claim should be closed. Subject to possibly being reopened when it is received. There are no exceptions, the DM is not allowed (under the law) to say to himself, "oh look this claimant called us on 14/08/2017 and said it would be late, and the person they spoke to has put a note on saying they can have an extra 14 days, that's ok then, I will not close the claim." They are simply not allowed to do that, the facts will be
    * What is the deadline?
    * Has the form been received by that deadline?
    If the answer is "No" the claim must be closed.

Who gave you that advice? Was it the person you phoned or a person who called you back from the BC? Either way, you took a risk in trusting them. That risk would be mitigated if they put a note on your file, which you wouldn't know if they had done or not unless you phoned back 30 minutes later and asked someone else if a note has been put on your file dated today.... and what does it say. The worst that would happen (if there is a note) is your claim would have been closed, but when your form was received the DM would have considered that a DWP person gave you incorrect assurances and they would re-open your claim.

The worst that would happen if there was no note on your file of the conversation, is that your claim would have closed and been refused to be re-opened, and you would have to make a new claim. You would not be paid for the gap between your old claim being closed and the date the form was eventually received.
  • epitome
    Options
    My only worry is that the person i saw last time in CAB is so busy and also my GP too and i only have less than 28 days left so all i need one supporting letter from GP and cab appointment on time
    You probably have no deadline at all. Please read post #16 and phone them.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    epitome wrote: »
    There is no regulation that allows for an extension.

There is a Regulation which states that a claimant will be treated to have No Limited Capacity to Work if the requested information is not recieved within the prescribed time limits.

Any DWP employee who strays from this path is not following the law. What should happen if the deadline is reached is the case should be referred to a DM, if, by the time the DM gets the case, the form has not been received, then the claim should be closed. Subject to being reopened when it is received. There are no exceptions, the DM is not allowed (under the law) to say to himself, "oh look this claimant called us on 14/08/2017 and said it would be late, and the person they spoke to has put a note on saying they can have an extra 14 days, that's ok then, I will not close the claim." They are simply not allowed to do that, the facts will be
    * What is the deadline?
    * Has the form been received by that deadline?
    If the answer is "No" the claim must be closed.

Who gave you that advice? Was it the person you phoned or a person who called you back from the BC? Either way, you took a risk in trusting them. That risk would be mitigated if they put a note on your file, which you wouldn't know if they had done or not unless you phoned back 30 minutes later and asked someone else if a note has been put on your file dated today.... and what does it say. The worst that would happen (if there is a note) is your claim would have been closed, but when your form was received the DM would have considered that a DWP person gave you incorrect assurances and they would re-open your claim.

The worst that would happen if there was no note on your file of the conversation, is that your claim would have closed and been refused to be re-opened, and you would have to make a new claim. You would not be paid for the gap between your old claim being closed and the date the form was eventually received.
    All i know is that i was given the extention, it was the person i spoke to from DWP. It was August last year. I sent all my evidence with the ESA50 form. I had a paper based decision and was kept in the Support Group.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure