How to Find a Job for a 60-Year Old

Options

Comments

• decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Options
    It does pain me to read how people of a certain age are written off. The state retirement age for many is now 66/67 and only set to rise. Many will see it all the way through.

If what they say about a booming economy is correct then there should be work more or less for anyone who can do it.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I got a new job at age 60 in a different line of work from what I'd always done. Not all companies are ageist.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Many companies won't know his age from the recruitment process, or HR will remove this data before it goes to the hiring managers. It will be obvious he is not a 20 something but a lot of dates can be left off of a CV if he chooses.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Sun-Is-Fun
    Options
    Supermarket customer delivery driver? Someone I talked to the other day was over 60 and managed, no problem, to get employed there.
  • felix-the-cat
    Options
    Well, I'm 60 and was made redundant earlier in the year. I can't get any work and I'm pretty sure it's age related. I don't put age-specific on my CV, and I get as far as interview, but no offers. Last time I was looking for work (4 years ago) I had no problem. The only thing that's changed is my age. Some industries just don't want to hire older people - I know it's illegal but that doesn't stop them! It's a real problem. And I won't get my pension until 66.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Working airside requires heavy secuirty checks and I thnk it is highly likely a reference woud need to include reasons for leaving.

I too would look for something closer to home.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I realise it's probably not the sort of work which he would do from choice, but many of the supermarkets recruit older staff. I know of a few of my former colleagues who now work for Morrisons for example. That would at least provide some income whilst seeking more appropriate work. This could be the ideal time to apply with Christmas coming up.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was job hunting till a couple of weeks back and one agency said a client had specifically asked them not to send anyone over 35! Ageism is definitely still alive.
    Personally I'd welcome older employees. Life experience goes a long way and in many roles its beneficial to have the calmer air that older people tend to have. My folks are mid 60's and so much more fit than me, so fitness and energy isn't necessarily a barrier either.
    I would avoid anything on a CV that gives away age. Don't put school down nor list every job. Maybe list skills and experience and just the last 2 jobs.
    I'd refrain from saying I'd been fired, stating I'm looking for a new challenge ( sort of true) but I wouldn't lie either. If asked I'd be honest and make it clear how much I regret what I did and how I learned from the mistake etc. Many companies don't state on references the reason for the person leaving either so don't worry too much.
    If your father needs work quick, I'd approach retail stores especially as its near Christmas. Does he have a beard...?! Ok seriously many stores, restaurants, garden centres, post office , Argos recruit at this time. There are always caring jobs going. How about driving? Someone older with a clean licence would be a good catch.
    This could actually turn out to be a blessing. It could give your dad the chance to try something he hadn't previously considered. He could end up with more pay or better benefits etc.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    How about doing his SIA license..training and Badge will come to roughly £500,but your pretty much guaranteed work.

Being older in the security industry is no bad thing...ive got a chap works for me and he is 69yrs old,wouldnt of known if he hadn't mentioned his age.
  • Magic_Sister
    Options
    alex80 wrote: »
    To be honest no one wants someone over 60! Try small property management companies. They might hire someone in a 55+ community. They like maintenance people around that age. Good luck.

You're a cheery soul, aren't you?!! Way to encourage all those people who've got to work till they're 67 but according to you no one wants them.
    You'll be that age yourself one day. I hope you remember your words.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure