PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting out of a Lease

Options
In 2008 I took out a lease on a flat with my now ex-wife (I was the lead name on the contract due to my higher earnings).In 2009 I left the flat and contacted the leasing agent to ask them to terminate the lease (with notice) and return my half of the deposit.They refused to do it and said they had contacted the property owners who were happy for my ex-wife to carry on residence with my name still on the lease.I contacted MyDeposits but because the only copy of the lease I had was scanned on my computer (which at that time I couldn't get access to) they told me that the three month window I had after leaving had closed.I have contacted the managing agent several times over the years,but they refuse to answer.Is this legal? I have no idea what may have happened to my credit rating in the intervening time,and would like my share of the deposit back (even though I paid it in full)

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Were you both named on the tenancy?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst one joint tenant can give notice to end the tenancy all tenants need to move out on or before the end of the notice period unless the tenant(s) who wish to remain sign a new tenancy agreement in their names only. Therefore, if your ex didn't move out and didn't sign a new tenancy agreement then there's no deposit to be returned at this time.
  • Thefrenchman
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Whilst one joint tenant can give notice to end the tenancy all tenants need to move out on or before the end of the notice period unless the tenant(s) who wish to remain sign a new tenancy agreement in their names only. Therefore, if your ex didn't move out and didn't sign a new tenancy agreement then there's no deposit to be returned at this time.
    Would any debts or unpaid rent she might run up while living there effect my credit rating? And if she did (or has) moved on does the letting agent have any legal responsibility to contact me to return my portion of the deposit?
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    Would any debts or unpaid rent she might run up while living there effect my credit rating? And if she did (or has) moved on does the letting agent have any legal responsibility to contact me to return my portion of the deposit?

The tenancy is presumably both yours..?

How else are you financially linked?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

If you are still joint tenants then you each have joint and several liability for the rent. Joint and several liability meaning that there is no "your" share of the rent or deposit. If the rent is not paid then the landlord has the option of pursuing one or both of you through court.

If the joint tenancy had ended I would have expected the deposit scheme to have contacted the lead tenant about any deductions and/or the return of the deposit. It might be worth checking with all 3 schemes to see if it is still registered anywhere.
  • Thefrenchman
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    If you are still joint tenants then you each have joint and several liability for the rent. Joint and several liability meaning that there is no "your" share of the rent or deposit. If the rent is not paid then the landlord has the option of pursuing one or both of you through court.

If the joint tenancy had ended I would have expected the deposit scheme to have contacted the lead tenant about any deductions and/or the return of the deposit. It might be worth checking with all 3 schemes to see if it is still registered anywhere.
    It is? or was registered at MyDeposits,but because when I first contacted them I didn't have access to the lease document,they declined to deal with me,then when I finally did get a copy,they told me the three month time limit to make a complaint had expired.They also refuse to tell me if the tenancy is still registered.
  • Thefrenchman
    Options
    sparky130a wrote: »
    The tenancy is presumably both yours..?

How else are you financially linked?
    As stated earlier mine is the lead name, as the agent required a proof of earnings and employment reference.And no other link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure