Is this staircase toooooo narrow?

Options
2»

Comments

• marc81
    marc81 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry it doesn't seem to have liked my picture upload. This is the picture I tried to post...

http://pasteboard.co/fZxvG6YpO.jpg
  • megaginge
    Options
    Marc's image:

fQNIz.md.jpg
    Hello There. :beer:
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    A staircase is useless if you cannot move suitable furniture up and down it.

My son has a new house and is restricted to a bed with it's mattress on a frame, as a divan cannot be taken up the stairs.

I don't see the need for a divan bed, given how ugly they are, and wouldn't find a problem with only being able to fit a bed with a frame that dismantles.
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    ....you should also be able to keep your current stair arrangement without too much hassle, not sure how desirable it would be to have kitchen smells open to a stair?

We keep the door between kitchen and dining room open all the time for ease of going between the rooms with food/drink/plates etc. We dont get any smells at all going upstairs so I don't think there would be much of a difference when we knock through the wall. True - not desirable to folk when considering a house to buy or when/if it came to us selling on.

If we blocked off the staircase with a wall, except a door opening at the bottom, the door would open into our dining/kitchen. A door to a staircase to bedrooms upstairs...... is that as bad as open staircase into dining/kitchen. Which is the least 'least desirable'? Thanks!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 1:52PM
    Options
    They're both undesirable because you have a five bedroom house with stairs in entirely the wrong place.

Whether you put a door on is not going to make a lot of difference. If you have 20 viewers (or people looking at the details) when selling, a majority will be put off by the location of the stairs. Of those that aren't put off - you weren't - then I suppose more would prefer a door up, but again it isn't orthodox. I might expect it on a 17th Century house, but not a 20th Century one.

I'd be looking to solve the problem correctly and make it back in the house value and appeal.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    They're both undesirable because you have a five bedroom house with stairs in entirely the wrong place.

Any more ideas of where the staircase could possibly go? Thanks!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ellie27 wrote: »
    Any more ideas of where the staircase could possibly go? Thanks!
    in all seriousness you need to get someone in to do a measure survey and look at detailed proposals that would comply with building regs - there's been a few suggestions but you've kind of got to the point where you need a to get a professional involved to solve this problem with all the measurements and structural issues considered
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    in all seriousness you need to get someone in to do a measure survey and look at detailed proposals that would comply with building regs - there's been a few suggestions but you've kind of got to the point where you need a to get a professional involved to solve this problem with all the measurements and structural issues considered

I agree. Even something that looks obvious on the ground can be hard to engineer. We've got a real handicap from where we stand.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure