PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How can I found out if land has been sold legally

Options
Hello, I purchased a house a year ago. It's listed so when I applied for a planning application I noticed on the English heritage website that my house had an orchard at the end of my garden but on my deeds it shows that the orchard is now with another property. How do I find out if it was legally sold? Thanks

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do you mean by "legally"?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you think it may have been sold illegally?

And what difference does it make? You now own the property that you wanted to buy.

Before you bought it, you viewed it yes? You could see the boundaries of the land you were being offered. You checked that against the Plan on the deeds which confirmed where the boundaries were. You purchased that and now own it.

Any land outside those boundaries is nothing to do with you. You knew you were not buying them, you did not expect to own them and now... you don't own them. Someone else does.

If you want to know who now owns the orchard, check the Land Registry website.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's normally safe to assume that property boundaries, as recorded by the Land Registry, are the result of legal transactions and up-to-date.

This is why your question is not making sense to people who have posted so far.

If you have reason to suppose that a transaction took place which was legally dubious, then you should say this and explain why.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    You seem to have an impression that if it hadn't been "legally sold" it would somehow "come with the house" and belong to you. It wouldn't. You didn't buy it.

In the extremely unlikely event there was an illegal transaction, whatever that might be, it would still belong to the person who sold it at the time. Of course it might well still belong to the person who sold you the house anyway; he may have wanted to keep it. Or he might have given it to his son for free. None of this is anything to do with you at all.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Check online (or by post) to see if the land is registered and if it is see what the register refers to. If registered but no clear details as to when it was sold/transferred then contact us with the details and we can see what we have on file.

Quizzical Squirrel - I assume you mean the title plan details have not been updated re the building? If so then that is correct as we register the general boundaries so what lies within the red outline can change over the years but the red outline does not. As such there is nothing to update from a registration perspective
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure