Life insurance - the odd cig ? Smoker?

Options
Hi
My husband 'classes' himself as a non smoker (classic argument) but every now and then he will have a cigarette or 2 on a night out. So this can be once a month, maybe twice. I have my life insurance all sorted. Had it all before I met him 12 yrs ago so he's fine and dandy if anything happens to me. We don't have dependants any longer so it's just normal usual living expenses. I have delayed getting him to sort his as premiums for smokers are way too expensive and yet non smoker would be an incorrect answer as it just states have you used nicotine products in last 12 months. So because of his occasional habit I'm basically out on a limb if anything was to happen to him. Which annoys me. If anything did happen to him (say a car crash) - how would the life insurance company know he had a cigarette possibly 2 weeks ago! Obviously it could happen the same day he may have a cigarette which would be very unlucky but rather than have no insurance do we risk putting him as a non smoker? Or is that pointless insurance?
Part of me thinks he should put a smoker and understand the consequence. But we don't exactly have spare money at the end of each month so it's not ideal.
Thanks

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    When you complete your proposal for insurance you agree it is true

Any lies subsequently discovered allow the insurer to void the policy.

Deliberate lies to get a lower premium are fraud
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband 'classes' himself as a non smoker (classic argument) but every now and then he will have a cigarette or 2 on a night out.

That makes him a smoker.
    If anything did happen to him (say a car crash) - how would the life insurance company know he had a cigarette possibly 2 weeks ago!

Probably get away with it in that scenario unless a drugs/drink test was done and that showed higher levels of cotinine. Levels can stay in the body for upto a week. Or if he has medical issues (the more common type of death) and the records on his medical file shows he has the occasional cig.
    but rather than have no insurance do we risk putting him as a non smoker?

Committing fraud because of a few cigs is silly.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As someone who currently has an outstanding claim in progress for critical illness and nervously awaiting the outcome as it will be totally life changing either way, despite doing everything totally properly, we may not be initially successful because of something just seen in my husband's medical records that we didn't even know about, I actually find your comments to be pretty offensive.

Potentially, if you make a claim and they find out he lied on application, your claim will be unsuccessful and you'll then be totally out of pocket for the premiums (where smoking might be pertinent), or if your claim is otherwise successful (like your scenario of an accidental death where smoking wasn't relevant), they can proportion the payout by the amount they think you underpaid - for example, if they think your premiums would have been twice what you paid, you'll get half the expected payout.

Just be honest in your application and either suck up the potentially higher premiums, or do without the cover if you can't afford it. Best still, persuade your husband to give up smoking properly and apply in a years time.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Your husband is a smoker. He needs to declare this on a proposal for life assurance. There is no grey area here. It will result in higher premiums, but that is one of the consequences of his decision to smoke.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 February 2018 at 9:07PM
    Options
    What is the point in paying a lower premium when there is a risk it will not cover you?

Waste of money?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've had a sudden brilliant idea - why doesn't he give up smoking and get cheaper insurance?

Then when he retires he can get a better annuity rate by becoming a "smoker" again.
    :)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,285 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Insurance isn't really my thing, but I am at a loss at how someone who smokes considers themselves a non smoker?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure