Real-life MMD:Dogs destroyed neighbour's signed ball. Should we replace it?

Options

Comments

• newkitchenfund
    Options
    Dogs can't read....

How the hell would they know what Wayne Rooney's signiture looks like?

Wayne Rooney can write ?!?!
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    Wayne Rooney can write ?!?!

Does he need to ?

He's from Croxteth. The !!!! end of West Derby. Despite that, I can't imagine that he left school without being able to at least sign his own name.

He does have trouble with Double yellow lines, though.

I once saw his massive black 4x4 parked half on the pavement, half on double yellows, picking up a stack of pizza's from Flames in Formby (Where it's so posh that even scallies from Bootle would get out of the bath to wee) :rotfl:
    At the time I thought: how arrogant.:mad:
    but now I think: Everton, might not have been paying him enough, which is why he went to Man Utd. :rotfl:
    In his defence it was raining and he is the best that England have got.
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    The obvious point...if it was so valuable why was their son allowed to kick it around? And of course, is there any sign of the signature, because the neighbour would need it as evidence?

If you've offered to replace the ball at it's normal price I'm pretty certain a judge in a county court would laugh your neighbours out of court, and give them a good going over for wasting his/her time.

Sounds like you have an acrimonious relationship with your neighbour if they're already threatening court action. So there's little to gain by trying to be reasonable. It's not so scary appearing in a county court, especially when you're confident you're being reasonable. Dig your heels in and wait for them to make a move.
  • alanaero
    Options
    Any ball in a garden immediately becomes the property of the dog, doesn't matter where it came from. :)
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the ball had been a standard 'unsigned' ball, then the offer to replace, with a warning that dogs are loose in the garden (which I'm sure he knows) should have sufficed.

Add the Wayne Rooney signature, well - if the ball had value, then why was it being used, if it was worthless enough to condsider using as a football (surely the purchase of a second ball for playing with would have been merited by your neighbour) then tough. The use of the ball would probably deface the signature enough to devalue it.

Sounds like your neighbour is taking his ire out on you, rather than directing some at his child!

Not a money moral dilemma, but I'd love to see this turn up in the silly court stories sometime in the fture. I'd say the neighbour hasnt got a leg to stand on.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would be brilliant if this went to court!

I'd love to hear the judge's opinion. :rotfl:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Let him take you to court - he's not going to get anywhere with it. What's the value of a signed football anyway? It's only worth anything if you sell it, and letting the kid kick it around is seriously reducing the value. The best solution would be (with the neighbour's collusion) to buy a new football & forge Rooney's signature on it, just to keep the little lad happy, but he's probably too big to fall for this if he can kick a ball over a 6ft fence.
    The neighbour is an opportunist blusterer, and you should ignore him till he simmers down.
  • sandyhatter
    Options
    Firstly who in their right mind lets their child kick around with a signed football.

Secondly they know you have dogs and therefore should have been more careful.

and thirdly where's the proof the ball was signed in the first place.

Let them waste their money on court fees if they're so minded.
  • ijusthadtocomment
    Options
    Everyone else has pretty much said what I would.

While you hope to keep a decent relationship with neighbours even if it is keeping them at arms length - some are just muppets and you can't win whatever you do, and if you give in on this occasion, who knows what they will try next.

They are completely in the wrong and do not have a snowballs chance in hell of winning any case - tell them to put the money they would waste on court action towards another ball and look after it properly this time.
  • Vasbyt
    Options
    Sorry, I misread. I thought it said that the dogs destroyed Wayne Rooney. Now that would have been funny.

As it is, its pretty hilarious. Letting your kid play with such a valuable item is madness; kids kick footballs and footballs inevitably land in the next door's garden; its a rule of life. Get over it and buy your kid a new soccer ball. Forge a soccer star's signature if it makes you feel better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure