Strange transaction

Options
There is a debit for £1 on my nationwide flexaccount with the description 'branch or cash machine withdrawal'.

Has anyone seen this before? Obviously I haven't made such a small withdrawal this way

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Very odd,, but be warned that someone may have hacked your card and may be testing the water to see what they can get away with! They try with small amounts first, it is worth calling your bank to ask about it.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Missu wrote: »
    There is a debit for £1 on my nationwide flexaccount with the description 'branch or cash machine withdrawal'.

Has anyone seen this before? Obviously I haven't made such a small withdrawal this way

Have you used a cash machine that has a charge attached to it ? I am fairly sure that some of these apply the charge as a separate line to the account debit.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options

Is this an actual transaction on your account, or just a pending transaction?

If an actual transaction, could it be an ATM charge for using a machine that charged you? (You would have been advised of such charge beforehand)
    Otherwise, please contact the Nationwide as a matter of urgency over any item on your account you do not recognise.

If just a pending transaction, ignore it unless it becomes an actual transaction. It'll probably just fall off.
  • societys_child
    Options

What transactions have you made recently? A £1 test is sometimes made to check the account is valid (for example "pay at pump" sometimes show a £1 debit which drops off shortly after)
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some companies do this to test the account is active when you set up a new direct debit.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Not sure how skimming a card would result in something described as branch or cash machine withdrawal. Cash machines dont dispense £1 coins which, as the OP doesnt report any unrecognised withdrawals, means if its fraud that someone has gone in branch with a fake card to withdraw just £1.

I doubt many have the balls to go in branch with fake cards given the CCTVs etc and by taking out just £1 you are probably more likely to draw attention to yourself.

I am surprised that there is no transaction type code against the entry, on my banking there is a different code for ATM to cashier transactions. I also agree with others that some fee charging ATMs log their fee as a separate transaction to the main withdrawal
  • Sorted! It was an initial deposit to a new savings account. Thank you for responses
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    So, you open a new savings account for £1. Later a debit appears on your account for £1. Then you ask people here why.

Strange but true!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport