national savings

Options
i wondered if anyone could tell me if it is worth cashing in a national savings ,school savings bank book i have found it has 80p in it since 1974 just wondered what it was worth

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not call NSI?
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    not worth it. keep it in your memory box (not even worth a phone call either) prob less than a fiver as old accounts go dormant after a few years
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • barak
    barak Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    not worth it. keep it in your memory box (not even worth a phone call either) prob less than a fiver as old accounts go dormant after a few years
    What a strange response! Even if it only buys a loaf of bread or two, calls to NS&I are FREE - 0500 007 007 :)
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Still not worth it. Next time you have to phone NS&I and there is a big wait before answer. It may just be everyone asking about the whereabouts of the £2.43 school saving plan from the 70s (I saved with TSB in school and went onto bank and mortgage with them too )I would love to find my school savings book to show my kids & grandkid. If it had a few quid there then yes get it out . But for a loaf of bread or two. Not me sorry
  • atush
    Options
    Glad you are so rich you don't care. Why not give it to charity then?
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    Options
    atush wrote: »

No, you have missed the point of the poster's reply/answer totally.

The amount of 'cost' in terms of phone calls and time spent re-verifying the OP's identity to the satisfaction of NSI (possibly invoving posting of paper ID to them is far more than the 80p or whatever that is in the account.
    Evein if you cost your time as 'nil' £/hr it would probably still be more than 80p.

In otherwords the OP is likely to spend several pounds getting back 80p. Not exactly a cost effective project is it?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I seem to recall I took my savings book to the Post Office and it cost me nothing. I agree it wouldn't be worth spending money on.
  • atush
    Options
    No, you have missed the point of the poster's reply/answer totally.

The amount of 'cost' in terms of phone calls and time spent re-verifying the OP's identity to the satisfaction of NSI (possibly invoving posting of paper ID to them is far more than the 80p or whatever that is in the account.
    Evein if you cost your time as 'nil' £/hr it would probably still be more than 80p.

In otherwords the OP is likely to spend several pounds getting back 80p. Not exactly a cost effective project is it?

Pretty sure i didn't miss it.

The phone call is toll free.

and anyone who spends time here, isn't worried about being time/cost effective? why not find out what it is worth via a toll free call., then work out if it is worth the stamp on an envelope.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    atush wrote: »

If it was worth it i would be on it like the FA on a racist, For the thought and process that goes into the potential £3ish return i would rather keep the school book (it could be worth somthing in years to come ) & give what to charity its not my money but the thought of a charity that can retrieve dormant accounts for you (for their gain) is a good if viable one. :D:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport