PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Probate Office asking for 200 signatures

Options
2»

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, but the charity concerned will have a constitution which should set out how it is managed and its paid and honorary officers. If there really are 200 trustees then there is probably some kind of smaller executive committee charged with day to day affairs. I'd say that either a designated officer or possibly the exec committee itself are empowered to act. Maybe the way forward is to take the constitution to the probate office and discuss further.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    John_Chip wrote: »
    Thanks again.

So - it would be strange to have a charity with 200 trustees not to have a chief officer to sign this off?

Absolutely - that is an enormous board and I can only think we are talking about one of the larger charities. There is no way that there is not some kind of constitution/governing document which gives powers and signing rights to a sub-set. It would be unworkable otherwise.

The charity of which I'm a trustee - not massive but not tiny either - has ten trustees and any two of us can sign for such things. Just as well as it is like herding cats even with just ten.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    .....Maybe the way forward is to take the constitution to the probate office and discuss further.
    OP is not in a position to do anythng. He's the buyer.

It is the Executer who must discuss with the Probate Office, and presumably that is the same person/charity as is selling.

Of course, we don't know for sure that this 200 signatures thing is really the issue - that is just what OP has been told.

But if it is, you'd think the charity's Exec Officer would be keen to sell and would therefore be keen to convince the Probate Office that the 200 Trustees don't all need to sign.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 July 2017 at 3:02PM
    Options
    I'm now genuinely curious as to which charity has such an enormous board. I've just been looking through the Charity Commission's register sorted by annual income, working down from the top including most of the main household names, and the biggest list of trustees I've found is 28 with most at fewer than 20.

I think something has been lost in translation here.

Edit: OP, it might be worth you checking whether there really are 200 as a starting point. The Charity Commission website will tell you this. Go here: http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/registerhomepage.aspx and enter the charity name in the purple box bottom left. It will work even if you only know one or two words rather than the exact name. Click on the correct charity from the list, then "Contact & Trustees" in the left hand menu. You can see how many there are.
  • John_Chip
    John_Chip Posts: 38 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to all of the above for their knowledge.

I have asked my solicitor to contact the charity and their solicitor and ask directly about these 200 signatures - and also to see the correspondence asking for the 200 signatures.

I am sure there is some sort of error with this - just looking around the charity website link above reveals the largest charities have just a handful of trustees / board members.

But who knows - there maybe some crazy charity with 200 trustees out there.

Thanks again for the above advice.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family