PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Worrying for no reason? - Ground Rent

Options
Hi All,

I'm in the process of selling my apartment which I bought 5 years ago, its been a great home for me but now its time to move on. My apartment is very reasonable price, less than 100k, its sold at a good price as I wanted to move fast. A few apartments have sold in this block in the past 5 years and they all sell well.

The ground rent on my apartment is £250pa, however it increases £250 every 10 years. So:
£250 next 5 years
£500 for 10 years
£750 10 years
£1000 10 years
£1250 10 years
£1500 remaining term.

I have heard horror stories online of some peoples ground rent doubling which is incredible. that means if mine was on that rate it would be at £8000 for the remaining term, shocking.

I am still worrying a bit about my ground rent lease, is it likely a mortgage could be rejected cause of this? As I said before all have sold in this apartment block within 3 months so I can't see it being an issue but looking for some more advice to be sure.

Comments

• strawberries1
    Options
    Following this.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2017 at 3:05PM
    Options
    I think potential purchasers will make their decision....

Personally I think its high but it depends what other management charges are also associated with the complex.

It also depends if thats a general theme that runs through ground rent in the area.

I've got 4 properties where ground rent is a factor....one is zero,2 are £50 per year and the 4th £100 per year...hence me suggesting I would avoid your situation

The figures look large but perhaps when factored into actual costs of living in 10 years plus may still be reasonable

other factors which could be important is for example the length of the lease remaining.....until a purchaser knows the full picture of costs going forward its difficult to make a decision based on one factor.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • HouseBuyer77
    Options
    Well mortgage lenders all have their own criteria but yours is not a doubling every 10 years lease (which many lenders do reject) so you will hopefully be ok (other properties with the same terms selling gives you confidence here).

Another way to look at your ground rent terms is the amount it increase by is actually less every time. You increase by a fixed value £250. That £250 will be worth less each time due to inflation, so in that sense it's quite a friendly increase compared to others you see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure