Toilet takes 45 minutes to refil

Options
our toilet backs straight on to the built out wall (you cant see the cistern where the water refills), and after a flush, it wont flush again for maybe 45 minutes, any ideas what to check and if its an easy fix?

If you try to flush it again, you get about half a cup of water trickle out. Also, you cant actually hear it refilling after a flush? Any tips please??

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did it suddenly start doing that, or has it just got slower and slower over the last 2-3 years?
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, in wrong forum, should be in DIY section :(

PasturesNew, its always been like it since we moved in, couple of years but it was way down on our list of things to get fixed, until now...
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Going to need to access the cistern , the valve is sticking or the float is faulty

All need access to replace
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Could be the isolating valve is not properly turned on.
    Could also be a filter that is blocked on the valve inlet although not all valves have a filter.
    HTH
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    This is why I never follow the trend for hidden/inaccessible cisterns or indeed anything of the sort. Missus wanted a tiled floor in the bathroom, it would have cost £££, I was like "no f*****g way", three weeks later a pipe T junction busts a leak under the middle of the bathroom floor........
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Seen this twice before
    A bit of muck/small stone whatever stuck in the water inlet orifice to the toilet.
    Reduces the flow in VERY considerably as the orifices are quite small.
    The inlet orifice is right inside the valve unit and is what the washer butts up against.

If so then the solution is to remove the inlet valve assembly and clean out thoughly. Once valve is removed blockage can sometime be extracted by blowing in reverse down the inlet to push back out the blockage.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Seen this twice before
    A bit of muck/small stone whatever stuck in the water inlet orifice to the toilet.
    Reduces the flow in VERY considerably as the orifices are quite small.
    The inlet orifice is right inside the valve unit and is what the washer butts up against.

If so then the solution is to remove the inlet valve assembly and clean out thoughly. Once valve is removed blockage can sometime be extracted by blowing in reverse down the inlet to push back out the blockage.

Yes I had one where a dead wasp was blocking the nozzle.
  • Turned_out_nice.
    Options
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be a split siamp diaphragm, cost about £3 to get a new one.
    You may have a different set up of course.
  • alanjuk
    alanjuk Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be a split siamp diaphragm, cost about £3 to get a new one.
    You may have a different set up of course.
    Yep, had that on more than one occasion
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried rebooting it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income