MSE Poll: Which Tory manifesto policies would you like to see dropped?

Options
Poll started 13 June 2017

Which Tory manifesto policies would you like to see dropped?

The Queen’s Speech is due “soon”, where Parliament opens and planned legislation is set out. As the Conservatives have the most MPs but not a majority in Parliament, it’s likely they won’t be able to get every manifesto pledge through. We’ve put a selection of 14 of them.

Choose UP TO THREE that you’d most like to see dropped.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Could we have a poll for which ones we would like to keep?
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    davholla wrote: »

Would be easier to pick 3 or less that way. :D
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 June 2017 at 6:28PM
    Options
    davholla wrote: »

Good idea

1. Free vote on fox hunting

2. Replace school lunch with choice of three-quarters of a Weetabix (without any milk) or twelve baked beans for school breakfast

3. Free vote on new grammar schools.

Result: 3 defeats, government redundant
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally, the fox hunting vote didn't bother me. It wouldn't cost anything and there's no chance of it being passed by the Commons but it was an argument that they didn't need to have.

They really need to drop the hard line on the single market and customs union though as that's going to cost us a fortune.
  • dw1
    dw1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    You forgot the option 'drop most of them, they're nearly all bad'.

The only ones I'd keep are the foreign aid commitment and more public spending (even if they're only willing to spend it on prisons). The rest are either terrible policies, divisive or simply unnecessary.
  • Mr5Micawber
    Options
    Yes, I agree. This poll needs a 'drop them all, they're all pretty bad' to offset the 'keep 'em all' option. Otherwise this poll is biased.
  • iainrt
    Options
    I cannot believe that more people are concerned with repealing the fox hunting ban than with the other more important points, ie pensioners triple lock, winter fuel allowance , foreign aid. No wonder we've got a hung parliament.
  • wooried
    wooried Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only found two to keep, foreign aid over 0.7pc and modernise prisons (helps building industry jobs).
  • Pegase
    Pegase Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    only 3 to ditch is very hard!
    3 to keep:
    - State pension triple lock changed to double lock (ie, it’ll only rise with inflation and earnings, no 2.5% min rise guarantee)
    Because why should pensioners income rise faster than everyone else, paid by people whose wages are at best stagnating in real term? mine hasn't even followed either of the double lock criteria (in the NHS: 1%/year, ie with inflation at 2.9, a 1.9% pay cut).
    - Foreign aid to continue to be at least 0.7% of GDP.
    - Modernise prisons with £1 billion of new spending. (with caveat because I can see their rich mates charging stupid amount for that, same as what happened with hospitals)
  • shropshirelady
    Options
    This is a money site. I would have thought you could work out the difference between 2.1/2% of £6360 (the basic state pension) and 1% of (say) £20,000. Any additional (earned) pension doesn't get the 2.1/2% increase, so you'd still be getting a bigger increase than a pensioner, who has little chance of increasing their income any ther way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure