Kitchen Advice- Integrated Drier

Options
Tempest501
Tempest501 Posts: 52 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Sooo we are getting a new kitchen fitted at the start of Sept. Kitchen itself is ordered from IKEA all ready for delivery.

Last night I started looking for appliances. We are getting everything integrated but have realised next to no one sells integrated driers and the ones out there are by brands I have never heard off (white knight, baumatic and CDA).

Does anyone know why this is and any advice on what we can do. My wife is adamant she does not want it on show after spending all this money to integrate everything else.

I am panicking a bit as we dont have long to sort it

P.S I heard washer dryers are terrible is this true?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What we did is get an extra 10cm depth worktop and put the washer and dryer in seperate cupboards.

That's a breakfast bar top cut down by the way! Nice having extra space behinf the sink too.
  • Tempest501
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    What we did is get an extra 10cm depth worktop and put the washer and dryer in seperate cupboards.

That's a breakfast bar top cut down by the way! Nice having extra space behinf the sink too.

Did everything look ok even though was an extra 10 cm forward? also did you have trouble getting a door to hide it?
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    I'm the other way around to your wife! Appliances like that are expensive and you spend even more for integrated ones that aren't as good as the non-integrated equivalents... why?! I'd much rather have a nice washer dryer out than know that I have something rubbish stashed in a pretty cupboard :) Could she be convinced by an expensive-looking dryer/washer dryer instead? Some of them look pretty fancy so I love the look of them, though I realise that may be a bit odd! We have the grey Ikea kitchen cupboards so my graphite coloured washer dryer looks okay, especially as we put it in the corner as you go into the kitchen so you don't see it really until you've gone all the way in and turned around.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and I like washer dryers but only non-integrated ones. They're not quite as good as separates but they work for us (family of 4). However, I wouldn't entertain the idea of an integrated one as you get next to no choice and even the more expensive ones seem worse than the cheaper non-integrated ones.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you need a drier? Unless seriously restricted for drying space you really don't need one
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I looked into this recently when I was planning my new kitchen. The reason why so few companies make integrated dryers is because of the fire risk.

I went for another combined washer-dryer. I have always found Zanussi to be good. The main problems people have with combined washer-dryers are two-fold.

1. If the machine can wash around 7kg, it will only be able to dry about half that, ie 3-4 kg.

2. Drying takes longer in a combined machine.

Apart from these two set-backs, combined machines are fine.

These factors are of more importance to people with young children who need to have the washing machine on constantly. If, like me, you only want to be able to dry towels and sheets during the winter, a combined machine is OK. You also need to weigh up your attitude to risk regarding fires.

Alternatively get a free-standing dryer.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wouldn't have an integrated washing machine or drier (or fridge freezer) as they are much more expensive than non integrated ones and you get much less choice.

I would have an integrated dishwasher though as the choice seems to be greater as a lot of people have them integrated.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I looked into this recently when I was planning my new kitchen. The reason why so few companies make integrated dryers is because of the fire risk.

I went for another combined washer-dryer. I have always found Zanussi to be good. The main problems people have with combined washer-dryers are two-fold.

1. If the machine can wash around 7kg, it will only be able to dry about half that, ie 3-4 kg.

2. Drying takes longer in a combined machine.

Apart from these two set-backs, combined machines are fine.

These factors are of more importance to people with young children who need to have the washing machine on constantly. If, like me, you only want to be able to dry towels and sheets during the winter, a combined machine is OK. You also need to weigh up your attitude to risk regarding fires.

Alternatively get a free-standing dryer.
    3. You can't wash & dry at the same time.
    4. They're less efficient
    5. They go wrong more often.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Tempest501
    Options
    Thank for all the replies guys, I think we are going to try the CDA one which is vented just annoying as extra cost to get ahole put through the wall but hey ho.

I tried convincing wife even offered to buy Miele appliance to convince her but didnt work lol
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    Options
    Tempest501 wrote: »
    Thank for all the replies guys, I think we are going to try the CDA one which is vented just annoying as extra cost to get ahole put through the wall but hey ho.

I tried convincing wife even offered to buy Miele appliance to convince her but didnt work lol

The cost of putting a hole thru the wall will be cheap compared with the extra price of Miele appliances if you had to buy them:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure