Cash gifts whilst on benefits?

Options
I am on housing benefit and in the ESA support group.
My mum has recently come into money from PPI. She has over the last few months given me money, but also has asked me to order things for her, lent me some money which I have paid back already, and paid me a sum of money that she owed me as she had a lot of items with very under my name. Another reason has been gifts to go family members such as my dad. Grandparents and my girlfriend in some instancesz
There's been £8035 out through my account, between February and May. however at the maximum only £5500 has been given to me as a gift, some of which for my birthday. not as a lump sum but various things In smaller amounts, from smaller things like £30, to £400 for help with furniture for my new flat and other specific items. I'm a bit worried as the wether this will affect my benefit, I've read that I would be allowed £6000 in savings, I'm unsure if it's true or not but I also want to know if I need to contact DWP to let them know what the transactions are so they don't think it's all been given to me. The statement all shows the money going to the appropriate places and with things like amounts for amazon orders placed for my mother I have online receipts of them going to her address.

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In general
    - you can have up to £6000 savings without affecting income-related benefits
    - gifts for specific things like furniture (which you would normally be expected to buy) or for day to day living costs won't be classed as income
    - if she uses you to buy things on her behalf then the money she pays (not gives) you as reimbursement won't be classed as income

If DWP check your accounts they may assume that there is income which you haven't declared so keep all the receipts showing money in and out to / from your mum so you can prove everything you claim.

As far as notifying DWP I think you have to notify them of any change in circumstances.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Nh22
    Nh22 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thank you for the reply, that's relieving. I don't have all of the receipts for everything as I haven't kept involves etc but the money is on my statement. I thought they may of classed it as income. Also on the last part I didn't quite understand, are you saying I do need to notify them of anything regarding this or don't?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only when you have £6k of savings, you would need to notify both the DWP (assuming you are on Income-based rather than contribution-based ESA) and your local council.

See: http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/savings
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Nh22
    Nh22 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Does 'savings' mean 6000 in one go and left in there, not 6000 total spent straight away and in individual amounts not a lump sum?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Nh22 wrote: »
    Does 'savings' mean 6000 in one go and left in there, not 6000 total spent straight away and in individual amounts not a lump sum?

The £6000 refers to your capital at any point in time. If you had £5000, spent £500 and added £1000 the next day then you'd be within the limits.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 May 2017 at 11:15AM
    Options
    Think, particularly, of the retired on state pension - plus perhaps pension credit - who have been wise & prudent enough to save some ££££ for a rainy day/ funeral/ grand-kids.

There is no limit for state pension** for savings (could be millions) or other income (could be millions per annum)

And, note, pension credit permits £10k savings before the benefit starts being eroded (at only £1 for every £500 savings over £10k).
    https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility

Not to mention herself getting the Sovereign grant & all those farmers & their EU subsidies....

Sigh....

** State Pension almost always comes with those 5 other benefits: £10 Xmas Bonus, Winter Fuel allowance, free eye tests, free prescriptions (worth a bit for many old people like me..), free 'bus pass (can be worth a lot..) ....
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think, particularly, of the retired on state pension - plus perhaps pension credit - who have been wise & prudent enough to save some ££££ for a rainy day/ funeral/ grand-kids.

There is no limit for state pension** for savings (could be millions) or other income (could be millions per annum)

And, note, pension credit permits £10k savings before the benefit starts being eroded (at only £1 for every £500 savings over £10k).
    https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility

Not to mention herself getting the Sovereign grant & all those farmers & their EU subsidies....

Sigh....

** State Pension almost always comes with those 5 other benefits: £10 Xmas Bonus, Winter Fuel allowance, free eye tests, free prescriptions (worth a bit for many old people like me..), free 'bus pass (can be worth a lot..) ....

I'm not sure what point you are making, but what is mentioned in your last paragraph could well change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure