Temporary "no supplier"

Options
Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I have a house i rent out to students, they left yesterday. The new students won't move in until late Sept. I don't need to do any work to the house. Is it possible to just not have an energy supplier until they move in (in which case they'll choose their own company), thereby avoiding nearly 4 months of standing charges. I think at least one company provides a No standing charge tarif, but if no energy is needed it seems a bit unfair on that company. I would want to do the same every year. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks, tom

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to switch to a NSC supplier if you want to avoid paying during the void but you need to register with the existing supplier first and pay them until switched.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Technically, only if you do it like the old days and get the main fuse removed.

This is likely to cost more than the standing charge and possibly cost for turning back on!

Just change to a low cost standing charge.

At least you are not trying to pass the space period charges to your next tennants. Well done!
  • Tom_Goodland
    Options
    Thanks to these 2 quick replies. I had no idea so many people were posting questions and so many people replying so quickly. A great resource.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I have a house i rent out to students, they left yesterday. The new students won't move in until late Sept. I don't need to do any work to the house. Is it possible to just not have an energy supplier until they move in (in which case they'll choose their own company), thereby avoiding nearly 4 months of standing charges. I think at least one company provides a No standing charge tarif, but if no energy is needed it seems a bit unfair on that company. I would want to do the same every year. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks, tom

No.

House ownership, especially one you do not live in, comes with responsibilities.

Why have the students already left??? :huh:

Most student landords let their property for 12 month terrms, to ensure the property is always let to others, and so they receive rent all year.

Speak to the local college housing officer for advice on how to rent to students. I think you will learn an awful lot, and hopefully will not have students leaving mid-term in future.

In the meantime, I'm sure you can spare a few pennies per day from the exhorbitant rents you have been charging poor students.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure