Saveshare, CGT and the NEW ISA

Options
Hi All,

Due to a promising saveshare that due to "realise" in August I'm wondering how to get the most cash out without hitting the dreaded CGT.

My question is, am I correct in saying the ISA limit is now 15K (cheers George) AND also, is there ANY reason why my wife can't put 15K into a shares ISA as well (every example I see seems to NOT include this but I can't see why)???

THE BREAKDOWN
23,090 shares bought at 61p using £14,085 saveshare pot and assuming current value of £4 per share
The plan
Gift 11,545 shares to wife
My action
Sell 3,244 shares giving proceeds of 12,976 (which if you deduct the cost of the shares £1,979 gives an acceptable capital gain of £10,997 not subject to CGT)
Put 3,750 shares into the new ISA (value of £15,000)
Leave remaining 4551 shares until April 2015
Wife’s action
Sell 3,244 shares giving proceeds of 12,976 (which if you deduct the cost of the shares £1,979 gives an acceptable capital gain of £10,997 not subject to CGT)
Put 3,750 shares into the new ISA (value of £15,000)
Leave remaining 4551 shares until April 2015
Total available??
which should give us as a couple 30K in 2 x ISA's and 25,952 = £55,952 tax free..... no? :cool:/:T

Kind Regards

Andrew

Comments

• Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Under HM Revenue & Customs rules a direct transfer of shares into a ISA is not permitted in most cases. To transfer shares into an ISA you'd need to sell your holding (incurring CGT if you go over allowance), moving the cash into your ISA and then repurchasing the shares.
  • Mattygroves2
    Options
    Your logic looks good to me.
  • agster
    Options
    Hi both,

I think I've found the answer in an email that was sent to us within our company. It's all in the small print (in red) as usual although they've got the 1 and 2 mixed up. It appears that I can use my 15K ISA allocation but my mrs can't use hers... totally illogical to me but guess alot of tax rules are :-)

Example 2: Alex decides to buy the shares and:

transfers half to her spouse/civil partner 1

both Alex and her partner sell shares to use all their 2014/15 CGT limits of £11,000 each

Alex transfers the maximum to an ISA in her name within 90 days of purchase 2

both she and her partner decide to keep the balances in EasyShare.
    1 The spouse/civil partner can’t transfer shares into an ISA in their name in the same way as the saveshare participant. Shares would need to be sold (and so potentially liable to CGT) and then repurchased into the ISA.
    2 The special tax rules allowing the spouse to sell shares and use their own CGT allowance only works for spouses and civil partners. They don’t work for other partners or relatives/friends etc. In those cases the shares are deemed to have been disposed of at the market value on transfer and are potentially liable to CGT on the saveshare participant.
  • Mattygroves2
    Options
    agster wrote: »
    Hi both,

I think I've found the answer in an email that was sent to us within our company. It's all in the small print (in red) as usual although they've got the 1 and 2 mixed up. It appears that I can use my 15K ISA allocation but my mrs can't use hers... totally illogical to me but guess alot of tax rules are :-)

Example 2: Alex decides to buy the shares and:

transfers half to her spouse/civil partner 1

both Alex and her partner sell shares to use all their 2014/15 CGT limits of £11,000 each

Alex transfers the maximum to an ISA in her name within 90 days of purchase 2

both she and her partner decide to keep the balances in EasyShare.
    1 The spouse/civil partner can’t transfer shares into an ISA in their name in the same way as the saveshare participant. Shares would need to be sold (and so potentially liable to CGT) and then repurchased into the ISA.
    2 The special tax rules allowing the spouse to sell shares and use their own CGT allowance only works for spouses and civil partners. They don’t work for other partners or relatives/friends etc. In those cases the shares are deemed to have been disposed of at the market value on transfer and are potentially liable to CGT on the saveshare participant.

You can still recycle a significant amount into your wife's ISA by gifting half to her (which she'll acquire at your cost) and then selling some of her shares and then buying back within the ISA (called bed and ISA) which will move approx £13,000 to a tax free environment without paying any CGT. She'll then be left with a balance of shares to bed and ISA in future years - maybe another 2 years worth - or she can gift some back to you for you to bed and ISA.
  • agster
    Options
    Hi Matty,

Thanks for that, that sounds VERY useful.

I have heard of bed and ISA but know nothing about how it works. Am I correct in saying selling £15,000 worth shares and then buying the same amount gives 0 profit on that transaction and because she will have acquired the shares through a standard purchase she can then legimately lump then into her Shares ISA and subsequently flog them from there?

The reason I'm using £15k is the new limit announced within the budget... if I've missed the point (which I probably have) can I ask how you come to a figure of approx £13K?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
  • Mattygroves2
    Options
    Bed and ISA means selling outside an ISA and then buying back inside it usually at exactly the same time to avoid market movements. When she sells she will trigger CGT so you need to see just enough shares to get to her CGT allowance but no more unless you want to pay CGT. She will inherit your original cost so 61p a share and you have yourself worked out that at £4 a share she can sell nearly £13k worth to achieve that aim. She then puts the cash into an ISA and buys the shares back at £4. She could of course buy other shares if preferred.

She then repeats this in subsequent years as dictated by the price of the shares which puts further gains within the ISA wrapper. However, I'm not sure that is what you want to do - if all you want to do is sell the shares and spend the cash then you simply transfer half and utilise her CGT allowance each year until you've sold them all.
  • agster
    Options
    Thanks for explaining that bud.

Yeah we've got a wedding to pay for (I described her as my wife for ease of explanation and yeah I know I can't transfer any shares exempt of CGT until we tie the knot) and a few other things as well so trying to get as much out as possible really.

Am I also correct in saying that I'll only be able to whack £15000 of my shares into an ISA within the first 90 days (so the example our company sends out)... therefore that is purely a one off and I won't be able to do this each Tax year?

Therefore 14/15 ~41K
    and 15/16 ~26K and so on...
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for explaining that bud.

Yeah we've got a wedding to pay for (I described her as my wife for ease of explanation and yeah I know I can't transfer any shares exempt of CGT until we tie the knot) and a few other things as well so trying to get as much out as possible really.

Am I also correct in saying that I'll only be able to whack £15000 of my shares into an ISA within the first 90 days (so the example our company sends out)... therefore that is purely a one off and I won't be able to do this each Tax year?

Therefore 14/15 ~41K
    and 15/16 ~26K and so on...

the ability to transfer direct to your ISA within 90 days is a special 'privilege' available only to you and only for the first 90 days.

you can transfer any amount of shares to your wife without paying tax, but if she then sells then the cgt is worked out on your original purchase price and she is taxed accordingly but can use her own cgt allowance .
  • brick
    brick Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options

You may be able to have *two* bites at the ISA cherry if you were to delay exercising your option, although you'd need to balance potential benefit (as you see it) with missing a dividend payment and being sure things run smoothly as timescales run down.

These posts, and indeed the thread, may be of interest - albeit now dated.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=60164049&postcount=3
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=60165961&postcount=9
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family