PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I Need An Estate Agent?

Options
Hello, first time poster. Very straightforward question.

We are selling our home and next door neighbours have made it clear they want to buy. Do I need an estate agent in this instance? How do you get the ball rolling on a sale without an estate agent?

Many thanks.

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    carlito000 wrote: »
    Do I need an estate agent in this instance?

No - but a good EA would qualify the buyer, and progress the sale, and monitor the chain etc. So you'd need to do that yourself.
    carlito000 wrote: »
    How do you get the ball rolling on a sale without an estate agent?

Both parties pass all the details to their respective solicitors, and they get the legal stuff started.

And the buyer applies for a mortgage, arranges surveys etc.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,178 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A colleague sold her last house entirely by herself, said she saved a packet and "it wasn't rocket science, just common sense". And you wouldn't need to advertise, which she did.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • capital0ne
    Options
    As long as you both are happy with the price and you have a good solicitor, and are able to handle all the queries from your neighbour, you don't need an EA.

Go for it! Good luck
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    If you want to throw away money, EA will glady take it and suggest they are needed in any situation.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The great thing about not having an EA is that you miss out a step in the communication chain. No having to see their mortgage advisor, no pressure to use their "special" insurance etc.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Note your buyer's details.

Note your buyer's solicitor details.

Note your details.

Note your solicitor details.

Note the property address, price, tenure and anything included in the sale price, such as carpets etc.

We call that a Memorandum Of Sale, in the trade.

Write a letter to each party attaching the above.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • carlito000
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Not a lot of love out there for the poor old EAs :)

It a bit daunting to try and undertake a sale without one, but I!!!8217;m certainly game!!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Start by sitting down with a cuppa, and agreeing the price.

That's basically the EA's job done - on to the solicitors...
  • agatham
    Options
    Depends upon how good the Real Estate Agent is. Reputation of the EA matters here. EA would make the paper works more smoother for you while buying or selling a property.

By the way, did you try posting on rightmove website? By posting in such websites, you can probably handle it yourself. But when you post about your property, the chances of a Real Estate Agent seeing your Ad and calling you is high. So, it would be a bit difficult to avoid an agent even though you can do it without them.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The point that's been missed so far is getting the best price. As long as you are happy that you are getting the best price you can (minus their commission) then there's no reason not to. I did it once, I was the one buying. It wasn't difficult to establish price since it was on an estate with many near identical houses. Harder if yours is a unique property which is difficult to value without open competition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure