PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FunBrum wrote: »
    Hi all on this lovely 2016 thread!

I'm going to be making do with everything I already have and not increasing my 'stuff'.

I'm minimising and sorting my clothes so that I can wear them more efficiently...I tend to just stick to a few outfits and wear them to death, instead of realising all my clothes and making full use of them. If I'm really not going to wear them again then they will be stored to sell at the carboot or straight down to the chazza shop!

On the mending front, I'm going to mend or revamp rather than replace.

Have you thought about Project 333?

http://bemorewithless.com/project-333/

I am in my second cycle of it and love it. I am not as strict as Courtney. I probably have around 40 items and only count bottoms, tops, jumpers and dresses - not accessories and shoes as well (which is what Courtney does). I also decided that my seasons would be different (for example I am on the winter season of Dec, Jan and Feb). It makes it so much easier to get dressed and I, in fact, look better than when I operated on a bigger wardrobe because I really am only wearing things I adore.

I am trying to make do on the food front, using everything up. I am having to buy some things in order to supplement, but nothing is getting wasted. I have some stock on for soup at the moment.

I, too, fell out of the habit of posting and hope to contribute more this year.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    This is a great and timely thread for me, and I find it so interesting and motivating to hear what sorts of things others are doing.

Ive been reading a lot about de-owning stuff and buying less, making do, minimalist living, decluttering, revamping etc and I realised that a large portion of each of my days is taken up with housework instead of things I actually WANT to do.
    Ive already decluttered and re-decorated 2 rooms last year, and it has worked - they are so much easier to keep tidy and require only 5 to 10 minutes of housework a day. So this year I'm aiming to get every room to this point.

Over new year I sorted all the paperwork piles and had a few bonfires, and got all of everybody's paperwork into one filing cabinet. GOAL = to always keep paperwork in the filing cabinet, NO MORE PAPERY HEAPS!

And I darned a few pairs of my socks! I didnt get any thick woolly socks for xmas :( so decided to reinstate some holey ones.

Ive just asked everyone to pick out 2 mugs that they want to keep, as we have far too many and it makes so much washing up. So now theres 2 for the rubble skip at the tip, 4 for charity shops, 4 spares [that were quite new] to go on a top shelf to replace breakages, and one that will go up to my DD's room to hold pens [she says].

We are going to do this with plates, saucepans, baking tins and bowls, too.
    In my house we don't have matching crockery - everyone has their own plates and bowls and mugs, all different designs and styles but all in blue and white. It makes dishing out meals and drinks so much easier, and replacements only need to be the right colour scheme! hehe
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    We used up the last of the Christmas brie in toasties at lunchtime and had leftover smoked salmon with pasta for dinner.

I got a packet of make your own crackers in M&S reduced to £2 so have put them away for next year.
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    Evening Everyone,

I have minimised my figure recently and all my clothes are too big, i am going to try and alter some of them with the help of you tube. i am definately not a dressmaker! I also have a very modest budget to replace some of them but i am going to scour the local chazzers.

regards
    :j
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year!!

It's lovely to get back to a bit of normality.

I am hoping to manage without buying any meat in January as I snagged quite a few YS bargains over the holidays. I am also planning to reduce our portion sizes too so the food should last even longer.

I am not sure if making my body more healthy can be described as "mending" but I am sure you know what I mean. I have been walking more and even joined the local leisure centre today. I can only manage small amounts of exercise at the moment so it will be more cost effective if I can go little and often.

Not doing so well with minimising the paper mountain though. I have been doing 15 minute bursts but I may need to reduce it down to 10 minutes because I keep putting it off and putting it off.

Here's to a peaceful and successful 2016 for us all
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm trying to de-clutter each room as we re-decorate but as the whole house is a renovation project that can be difficult-just as you get one room tidy we have to shift stuff from another room into it to start that. For many months the front room was used as a storage area for copper piping, bathroom suites and tiles!

However, we were given some outside Chritmas lights to pass on to someone who couldn't have them in the end, and rather than skip them we put them on Facebook and a friend snapped them up in seconds!! One less pile of stuff in the spare room-yay!

My niece is moving house and needs some curtains. I've given her some nets and curtains that have been hanging about in the airing cupboard. I've also found some hand towels and bath mats to give to my daughter who's just moved into her own place.

We've just finished our new kitchen and utility room. I wanted some laundry bags to separate the different types of laundry to save having to sort it out every time but they cost a fortune!! Bright idea time-use different coloured pillowcases, as I've got loads in the airing cupboard-money saved.

Our Christmas aprons are not required back at work this year (they are changed to a different style every 2 or 3 years) so I've suggested that we give them to local schools and nurseries for the children to use as painting overalls. So that's another good idea for any company that's changing uniforms; shirts are good painting overalls for kiddies, put them on backwards and there you go!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2016 at 11:00PM
    Options
    I minimised some of my craft 'stash' today! I passed some of it on to DD who is busy 'crafting' herself now!
    She had my crafters companion scoreboard, some templates for 'pillow boxes' and some cut out but not made up boxes. some beautiful papers and mirrorcard. and some keepsake embossing boards and the tool. and various bits of ribbon, scraps of fabric etc oh and some punches I bought for making the wedding invites etc for my two sons weddings a few years back and not used since. I can now 'sort out' my cupboard and will have room to 'stash' my knitting and crochet yarn. (most of it is currently 'hidden' behind the settees). Yay! feeling very pleased with myself!
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello All

I have been following last years thread and this new one but have not posted before, may I join?
    I am hoping to be more frugal this year in all things and hope this gives me some extra money to treat the kids during the summer holidays as money is always a challenge during the six weeks break!
    I like the idea of a screen free day, however do likes to have the telly on, but maybe I could have a computer free day as I sometimes spend so much time online looking at nothing when I could be getting on with some knitting.
    I am keeping a spending diary this year so that I will (hopefully) think twice before buying anything.
    I did keep to menu planning last year which helped greatly with my food budget, plus food wastage.
    I am also trying to loose some weight so I should be able to get into the clothes that I already have.
    I have a Christmas note book that I mark anything we need or don't need, which helped me not to buy any wrapping paper this year (I shan't need any this year either!)
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • Calluna
    Calluna Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Infrequent lurker coming out of the shadows.
    I try to practice the 3M's, and actually this Christmas has been fairly good, as we have just used up the last of the cheese :)
    Made a baby quilt as one Christmas pressie, in less than a week, on the new sewing machine from Lidllies - which I'm very chuffed with. As not only did it all come from my long held stash, but the mum posted a pic of it on the FB, so she must have liked it :rotfl:
    And just made my OH a padded case for his new phone without any instructions :eek:
    Happy new year every body
    C x
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I'd love to join if I may, I've been reading a lot about minimising and re-prioritising over the past few months. I look forward to lots of tips to help clear out the huge amount of 'stuff' we seem to have accumulated over the past two years (since we moved). I have promised myself that 2016 will be a year of change - no more buying things we don't really need or want. I'm going to start sewing more often on my poor machine that's been gathering dust and hopefully make as many of the gifts we give as possible rather than buying them off the shelf. I have a shameful amount of fabric that I need to start using up too :o must resist buying more before I've used some of that up!
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport