New Enterprise Allowance scheme - My story

Options

Comments

• pinkypoopydoo
    Options
    I think by "good" they mean one that has been well thought through, proves the business is viable and shows that there is a market and room to expand. I had to do research into local competitors, doing a SWOT analysis on myself and the competitors, as well as the usual business stuff. I also had to produce a projected cash flow for 2 years, detailing all expected expenses, income etc. I still have templates for both - if you would like them, so you have a head start, pm me your email address and I shall pass them on to you.

I already had a business plan written, to show my mentor at my first meeting - it then took me about 5 weeks (can't remember exactly) to do the research they asked for (most of the wait was down to waiting on government agencies getting back to me with figures to back me up) to get my mentor to accept it and sign it off. I also started looking for clients during that period, as I knew by that point that self employment was my future.
  • s450
    s450 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you four your kind offer.
    I have sent you a PM.
    Anyway, I really hope I will be able to develop a good business plan. I have never done it before and I will surely have lots to learn.
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Woo today I have been contacted by NEA, discussed my idea with my business advisor and been booked onto a 4 day course starting next week :D

My advisor said that I'm now in the business planning stage and now need to focus solely on my business. :)
  • Andy2013
    Andy2013 Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    My business plan was 1 A4 page and had everything in it I needed to explain as to my idea, vision and financial situation and this was advised to me by my mentor on my induction ,but remember I have not seen him since so he probably couldn't be assed reading lots of pages !

He passed it anyway and it was concise and simple rather than pages of rambling rubbish.

This link will give a good basic outline of a business plan.

http://www.pinnaclepeople.co.uk/PP-003%20NEA%20Business%20Plan%20LR.pdf.
  • cottonshope
    Options
    Its a load of rubbish, don't bother. I have had problem after problem with the jobcentre after being made redundant. They didn't even tell me about the scheme even though i mentioned on several occasions that i was looking into starting a business. I found the link myself and rang up about it. After my meeting with my mentor he agreed i had a good idea and started everything off, or so i thought. The jobcentre knew nothing about it and i had to return 3 times in that week to re sign up.

Everything was finally explained to me on around my 3rd visit, it sounded great. I spent 8 weeks perfecting my business plan, working hours a day on it and doing a lot of market research. I sent everything to my mentor who then sent me a ridiculous template to budget for 2 years worth of finance.

I went in to sign on and was told my mentoring period had now finished and i needed to start looking for jobs again?? What was the point in trying to start a business then attend interviews?

At this meeting with another advisor that knew nothing about me, i was told that it would be my last week of receiving JA and i would only be getting around £66 a month for this new business scheme. I asked the question of what other benefit is there to help me support myself as £66 a week is impossible to live off with a mortgage plus they are now expecting me to start and run a business on this???? I was told that as i am on this scheme i cant even apply for income support. There solution was to run the business and find a job under 16 hours a week so i had a little more money coming in. "Do you not think i have been trying to get a job for the past several months" I worked in a management position for years and have seen my self apply for jobs that i am way over qualified for with pay cuts of around 70%.

I dont understand how they can expect you live on the £66 a week, then £33 for the next 12 weeks when most business take time to actually start making a profit, especially something you can live on.

I was then told to take the loan, why would i want to take a load when i now owe family members money for helping me pay my mortgage.

I have now decided that the last 8 weeks have been a waste of time and the effort i was putting in to my plan could have been better of used to look for jobs.

Don't do it. If you want to start working for yourself, come up with your business plan in your spare time and then come of JSA and apply for income support, etc.
  • crumblencustard
    crumblencustard Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 25 July 2013 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Hi all

I have been on NEA a while now. Still just inside the 65/week payments.

However, my wife is 33 weeks pregnant.... and surviving on 65 is a little difficult.

So we applied for income support, and even went for the "sure start".

But have been refused both because I have NEA coming in????

Surely something is wrong somewhere. Or do I now have to give up and start to re-claim JSA and throw my business attempt out the window.

Can't get tax credits...not enough working hours
    Can't get Income Support..... too many hours and receiving NEA
    Can't get Sure start maternity grant because we don't get Income Support.
    My wife can't get JSA.... she can't actively seek work at 33 weeks.

Struggling.

Need some advice please :)
  • andyscott
    andyscott Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

However, my wife is 33 weeks pregnant.... and surviving on 65 is a little difficult.

Surely something is wrong somewhere. Or do I now have to give up and start to re-claim JSA and throw my business attempt out the window.

Struggling.

Tell WTC that you work more hours than you really do. It could be calling potential clients, delivering flyers, updating facebook, sourcing new suppliers online.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    andyscott wrote: »
    Tell WTC that you work more hours than you really do. It could be calling potential clients, delivering flyers, updating facebook, sourcing new suppliers online.

Surely you're not suggesting he should falsify his claim ...?

:naughty:
  • andyscott
    andyscott Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Im suggesting maybe he is doing more work for his business than he realises.

To be honest I dont mind anyone who is genuinely trying to get a business going adding a few hours onto WTC claim. Its when you actually try to make a go of things in this country that you get stabbed in the back.

far too many sitting on benefits who will never work a day in their life and will always have money and never have JC+ say anything to them.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all

Struggling.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that your business is really a viable one (for NEA purposes) if you are at the 3 month mark and only have the NEA money to survive on. By now, they would expect you to have money coming in (even if its just a small amount).

NEA money is not for you to live on, its to top up the money that you get from your business. Obviously in your case, that is not happening.

I would suggest that you find yourself a job (oh i realise how easy i made that sound, and also realise it's not that easy!) and continue to work on your business idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure