CD Player Stops at 30 secs

Options
Robin9
Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
Do Cd players do a built in check at 30 secs ?

My Church has a Stageline/Monacor CD112 CD/MP3 player which we use at Funerals and Weddings.

Yesterday I was using it at a concert when there were 9 tracks was a CD being used as backing tracks - all tracks copied from original recordings.

All went well at the rehearsal and all 9 tracks played OK.

Come the performance track 1 stopped at 30 secs. I switched off, powered up started again and all was well. Later the same happened. A colleague said she had the same occurrence a few weeks ago. All at 30 secs.

Is there something built in at 30 secs into the player or CD?

My only thought was one of temperature as the CD had been set up sometime waiting for me to press Play.
Never pay on an estimated bill

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Most likely to be a damaged disc. Try a different disc or cleaning the one you use. If it happens at the same place on a variety of discs its possible the laser mechanism of the cd player needs lubricating or repair which isn't normally a diy repair.
    A lens cleaner might help.

There's nothing built in to discs or players at 30 seconds.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's only one disc that does this, burn another, perhaps with a different brand of CD-R

If it does it with more than one disc, including commercial releases, not CD-Rs, it would seem the laser arm is sticking at the 30sec point, and needs service from a qualified person, or replacement
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all - now to find a service agent !
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It takes SD cards and USB devices. As a short-term fix, rip your CD to a format that will play back from one of these media.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    I would also recommend having an alternative CD player to hand, ready to plug in, in case your main one gives problems in the middle of a wedding or funeral. ;)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a Sony CD player that had an "intro" button. When this was enabled, it would play only the first part of each track (I think it was ten seconds). It was alongside the "shuffle/random" and "repeat" buttons.

Is there anything similar on your machine?
  • psychic_teabag
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    It takes SD cards and USB devices. As a short-term fix, rip your CD to a format that will play back from one of these media.

I'd be inclined to say that this would be a better long-term approach, rather than a short-term fix. Mechanical nature of CD player means things are more likely to go wrong from time to time. Playing from mp3 is less likely to go wrong.

(That said, SD cards aren't themselves the most reliable devices - they seem to be easily corrupted. Though if the playback device is read-only, it's less likely to cause corruption when card is removed.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure