IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Driving Without Insurance Fine

Options
I was borrowing my husbands car to go to work as mine was in the garage that day.

I had an accident but it wasn't serious. So much so, the driver of the other car drove off without giving any details.

I reported it to the police and gave them details. They said they'd look into it but I'd need to provide insurance details.

It was only until then that I thought you could drive someone elses car without being named on the insurance (I have fully comp, so does my husband) as you're both fully comp and have permission.

So we closed the investigation as I was driving illegally (no insurance) and it looked like we wern't going to get anywhere with the other driver anyway.

However now, about 5 months later, I have a fixed penalty notice through the door (£300 + 6 points) or court.

If we closed the investigation only a few days after they opened it, how have the police then carried on and decided there was no insurance? Why has it taken them so long?

Is there anything I can do or should I just pay?
How long will the points be on the licence? Will this have any longer term problems with insurance when I come to renew, or do I have to inform them?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, but this is the wrong forum for your question. We deal with private parking charges. For Police and other criminal charges, PePiPoo will be your best bet.

Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does your insurance allow you to drive another vehicle
    albiet as third party ?
  • EKEA
    EKEA Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure what the insurance covered.
    I have a feeling we bought it online but there was no choice to be able to drive 3rd party cars.

I have sorted it now and I'm a named driver on my husbands car, he's named on mine.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EKEA wrote: »
    Not sure what the insurance covered.
    I have a feeling we bought it online but there was no choice to be able to drive 3rd party cars.

I have sorted it now and I'm a named driver on my husbands car, he's named on mine.

That does not help with your other problem.

As said, go here, someone might help
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family