MSE Poll: What should be means-tested? Free bus passes, the NHS, student loans?

Options
Poll started 21 February 2017

What should be means-tested? Free bus passes, the NHS, student loans?

Many allowances and entitlements are means-tested (dependent on your income or wealth), but some are given to everyone.

Which of the following do you think should be available to all and which should be means-tested?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• whosthatgirl1989
    Options
    For some the admin costs of means-testing would probably outweigh the savings of not giving the allowance/entitlement to all.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The problem with means-testing is the people who just pass the threshold - they tend to get hammered for everything and end up worse off than someone who earns a few hundred pounds less p a.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • saverbynature
    Options
    Giving free bus/travel passes to the over 65's encourages them to get out of the home far more than they would if they had to consider the cost every time. This has a positive effect on their physical and mental well-being so does the cost of providing this benefit outweigh the savings gained by them not needing medical treatment for physical and mental conditions such as lack of exercise, loneliness, depression etc. I think not.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Some of the things on that list shouldn't be free for anyone, and a lot should only be free for those who have contributed in tax and NI payments, therefore I couldn't complete the poll, as it insists on selected one of the two options for each item.
    Zebras rock
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok so if everything was means tested it would mean. If you got off your bottom or where careful with your money you would be given less help than those you chose not to help themselves. ( not everyone ) but the career benefit claimants for example!

Mmmm does not sound fair to me. Surely the incentive should be to help yourself 1st.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Should be a third option for "not provided", you either pay for it or do not get it.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, don't means test bus passes, otherwise my bus to work probably won't run as there will be too few people.

It's great that so many old folk use the buses in our area. They have such a laugh.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear why the (currently) 18% of people who think the state pension should be means tested feel that way. The state pension is based on the number of years paying into the system, so then to turn around and deprive people of this based on their prudence elsewhere would seem like a real slap in the face to my mind.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    No, don't means test bus passes, otherwise my bus to work probably won't run as there will be too few people.

It's great that so many old folk use the buses in our area. They have such a laugh.

Where as around here very few paying customers use the bus, because you can't get a seat (or sometimes even on the bus) because of all those travelling for free, especially in afternoon peak time.
    Zebras rock
  • Celtic_Martini
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    Should be a third option for "not provided", you either pay for it or do not get it.

Exactly - I replied to Martin L in Twitter to this effect.

People should pay for some items that they presently do not.

One gives people enough welfare and then they choose what to spend it on.

If one pay for people's passport costs why not their mobile phones - what next ? :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure