Time to sort my finances out

Options

Comments

• Flowers123
    Flowers123 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Smodlet. That's a good idea but I don't have any close friends here so they would probably find it a bit weird if I asked that. My closest friend in the city moved away last year :( If I move back then my parents have plenty of space to store all my things until I find somewhere to buy. I'm not to get my hopes up about the job but will be jumping with joy if I get an interview.

I didn't eat breakfast today so managed to eat my lunch by 10.30 and then ended up spending £5 on lunch which I'm annoyed about! I need more willpower! Also spent £1 on proper dairy*ea which I'm pleased about as the *ldi stuff wasn't very nice. Must stop spending on food!!!

Just about to head off to my parents. Tickets for tomorrow have been paid for. Going to have a sack now and then eat when I get back. Always seem to be thinking of my tummy. Flowersx
    :beer:
  • Flowers123
    Options
    Today was so lovely but now I'm feeling a tad grumpy and I am in bed already. Didn't realise how hot it was and I am now glowing red. Lesson learnt!

£3 spent today on an ice-cream. Took drinks and snacks with us so no other spends. Also I didn't use my car today so I'm definitely going to be able to make my fuel last until payday :)

Tomorrow I'll be having lunch with my family and then heading home. I don't think I'll make it home before the shops close to get work lunches so I may cook my 89p pizza I have at home and have it cold at work. Not very healthy but it means I can have a NSD and save money :)
  • Flowers123
    Options
    I'm not having much luck this month. First the washing machine goes and now I've dropped my iPad on the tiled floor and the screen has smashed. I can still use it at the moment but some of the glass is starting to fall out. I've looked at getting it repaired but Apple say it may need to be replaced and as its out of warranty I will have to pay something like £200 :eek: I will definitely have to do at least 4 hours overtime next month :mad: my grocery spending is being reduced all the time so this should hopefully help clear my overdraft and save a bit towards the new washing machine and iPad. Thankfully I have some more items on *bay that are due to finish shortly. I won't make loads but every little helps this month. Im busy every weekend until the middle of September now so I've got to make sure I plan every penny I spend. This debt free journey seems like it's never going to finish :(
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, is your ipad not covered on your contents insurance, Flowers?
  • Flowers123
    Options
    Hi Smodlet. My excess is £250 so it's not really worth claiming.

Got home and realised I have no milk for breakfast so popped out and got milk for 75p and a small loaf of bread for 45p. I got the bread as I my mum gave me some leftovers from the roast so I can make a sandwich for work. Pizza can be saved for tea tomorrow night. Used the change in my purse and I managed to walk the past the magazines and bottles of wine which is impressive for me. Can't believe it's Monday again tomorrow :( bank holiday weekend can't come soon enough!
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Hi, is it worth getting back on the comparison site(s) and fiddling with your voluntary excess to see what lowering it would do to your premium? I always do this. How much did the warranty cost? Was it worth it? These may be things to think about, going forward, but then, in a few you will have an emergency fund for such things, right?

Pat yourself on the back for walking past stuff you do not need, well done, you.
  • Flowers123
    Options
    Yes I will be comparing quotes now as my renewal is due at the start of October so hopefully I can get it cheaper :)

It didn't cost anything for a warranty. You get a free years warranty with a*ple products :) not sure if they would actually give me a new one if it was caused by my clumsiness.

Going to concentrate on my EF next month. I have £50 in there so need to build this up rather quickly so I don't end up building my CC's up. As soon as these have been paid off I will be in a better position to really made strides and pay off my loan.

Sandwiches made for lunch today. I'm quite pleased I've managed to take lunches every day for the last 2 weeks apart from the blip last Friday.

Need to post a few items I sold on e*bay last night. Made £19.50 after postage and packaging costs. Not loads but it all helps and will stop me being charged £6 for using my OD.

Can't wait until payday. 16 days away and I have around £100 left which is good for me. It helps not spending much on clothes. I only spent £19 this month on much needed work clothes. Also I've sold an old work skirt that was too big for me. Only got £2 but better than nothing.

Better finish getting ready for work :(
  • Flowers123
    Options
    I had to order a washing machine. I took some things to my parents to wash but i have bedding and towels that need washing. Managed to find one on offer for £189 which means my overall debt total hasn't increased this month. My total amount outstanding is £18,854.68 :mad: including the new washing machine. I still have £100 left in my current account so this should last me until payday. I need to go food shopping tonight but nothing else planned this week. I will update my signature tonight. Pleased my overall debt hasn't increased but annoyed that I've not paid much off this month. Next month I should be able to pay off more if I stick to my grocery budget and refrain from nights out after work :beer:
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Hi Flowers, all,

Just a thought, have you considered trying to get a cheap w/m from freecycle/freegle/police auction sites (e.g. bumblebee)? £189 does sound very cheap, though. Is the spin speed high enough? You don't want laundry dripping all over the shop, now, do you?

Another thought (that's two in one day, make a note!) have you considered/do you do online surveys for a little extra cash? There is a board on here for that but personally I bother only with Yougov and Prolific Academic. Some are pennies, some pounds but most take a very short time. Yougov give you points but you can save them up and, if you ever reach 5000, you get a cheque for £50. Something to while away those evenings in, perhaps? HTH.
  • Flowers123
    Options
    Yes I did have a look but I needed it to be delivered as I have no one nearby that can help move it and I also need to get rid of my old machine which they will do for me free of charge :) it's got a decent spin of 1400rpm and I would rather have a new one so I know it's clean :) I'm a little bit obsessive with my cleanliness.

I've beat you to it Smodlet :) I'm on Crowdology and Swagbucks. I can withdraw £4 from Crowdology shortly and I'm saving up my Swagbucks towards vouchers for Christmas.

Good news, I've been offered an interview before the closing date :) so excited but I know it's going to be a big change for me moving back home and it will take a bit of getting used to. At the moment I can go about my day to day life and shops and services are very close by. Moving home I would have to drive to work and I wouldn't be able to go out for after work drinks as a taxi home is about £30 which I would not want to spend. It would help me save money and i would be close to friends and family which I would love. I just need to get the morning off work next week so I can go to the interview. I'm worried they will think I'm jumping ship from my current role but I'm hoping I can show them how much I want to work for the company and how my experience would make me the perfect candidate. I really didn't think they would offer me an interview so I'm a bit nervous and scared about it to be honest. I don't want my current employer to think they have wasted their time with me. I'm such a worrier about everything. Also i am concerned about selling up and moving as it will be more expense I don't need and living with my parents may be a bit testing, if I did get the job then I could do it for a few months. A few friends have offered me their spare rooms to rent already but it would probably cost nearly as much to rent a room as it costs me to pay my parents back and my bills.

I've been persuaded to do some overtime this week as our work state is horrendous. It's all extra money towards debt repayment but I think I will miss the cut off date so I may not get paid it until the end of September.

Ive got lots of thinking to do. Nervous and excited
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family