2014 - 15 P60 printing

Options
Has anyone managed this yet?

I am using the RTI HMRC software - in the email it says to upgrade to the latest software manually BEFORE running any payroll for 2015/16. And the reference in the email ends .88 and the one on the website is a completely different reference. (Of course!).

Anyway, I haven't downloaded it yet, because I can't close 2014-15. I've done the end of year form, but not submitted it. Tried to print my P60's and the 'form is not available'.

After 20 minutes on hold to the revenue I'm losing the will to live.

Has anyone completed their end of year using this software yet? Any ideas?

Comments

• AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2015 at 1:46PM
    Options
    i downloaded the latest version of basic tools a couple of weeks ago after reading that you must do this as it wouldn't automatically update, think this was in the Feb employer bulletin.

it updated over the weekend for year end & i could then print off the P60's ok & choose the new tax year.

however if you click on what's changed for 2015/16 on the home page, it states
    "Employee/Employer data – Actions required

The latest version of the Basic PAYE Tools features a new screen called 'Employer/Employee data – Actions required'. It is a list of actions that will appear each time you open Basic PAYE Tools. It is important that you set aside some time before you run your next payroll to complete the actions on the list - until you do this you will not be able to submit any payroll information."

i haven't seen this new section, can't find it anywhere, & i'm not being prompted to do anything different when i go into the add employee payment pages as usual. no idea what's happened with that?!

edit: need to get the wages done so i've just rang the online helpdesk (got straight through on 0161 930 8445), typical HMRC, it states one thing & means another! as far as they are aware, a new page/actions required section will ONLY appear if you haven't updated something, NOT every time tools is opened. I've changed year to 2015-16 & updated the tax codes, so nothing will appear now.

this doesn't make sense based on what's stated, but that's what i've just been told, i did stress that the quoted info is therefore mis-leading...
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I did manage to submit an end of year form (not sure if its the only one required). Can't print P60's - gave up on the helpline after 15 minutes (you have more ptience than me!!)
    Probably will try updating next.
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both for answering!

You have to download the latest version before you can print the P60's.

You can do your year end and submit it - and I thought the P60's, THEN the update.

Nope, the update THEN you can print the P60's!

And I was on an 0300 number - 30 minutes of music and then the call dropped.
  • Seanymph
    Options
    Abbie I haven't had any new tax code notifications - should I be updating tax codes? Or using the same ones?

I'm worried because you said you had to update yours...
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to look at the HMRC P9x information, it tells you how to change codes to take account of the budget changes.

Its at:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/p9x-tax-codes
  • AbbieCadabra
    Options
    you've got it Sean - update to latest version, then the year end update should go through automatically next time you use it after 5th April (or thereabouts) & print p60's off.

ours were all basic tax codes, so last year 1000L, this year 1060L, providing no notification received from HMRC to tell you otherwise.

year end is still a performance isn't it?! so much for live reporting & RTI taking all the hassle out of it. :) to make it even more fun, if you now search for any help on HMRC website it re-directs to the truly awful gov.uk site which is neither use nor ornament! i used to know where to find stuff on HMRC, no chance now.
  • Seanymph
    Options
    Nothing is ever user friendly with them! My email said to ensure I'd got this particular update - and it's not there. That number isn't relevant.

I also had two emails telling me I'd got messages, logged on, no messages.

It drives me potty to be honest.
  • halfone
    halfone Posts: 114 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2015 at 3:20PM
    Options
    They do seem to change what you have to do every year, but not flag up those changes in a obvious or practical way.

I THINK I've completed everything, but I could only find a list of approx 7 yes/no tickboxes (which didn't apply to this business) to complete the year end 'paperwork' not the usual reams of stuff to send off, so I hope I've done that right. I know the P35s aren't needed now but still, it seemed fairly insignificant and 'un-final' when I submitted it.

Re. changing tax codes - we didn't get any notifications either. I also discovered the new tax year had to be manually selected on the PAYE software before changing the tax code; that way I got to choose an option something like 'I didn't get a tax code notification but read about it online'...that option's never been there before and I've never been sure what to select before.

It seems to be getting more straightforward but I'd like it better if it didn't vary from year to year.

AbbieCadabra - perhaps that 'Employer/Employee data – Actions required' is something that only activates if you haven't done something you're supposed to have done?

PS re. LHW99's link - they send you to hmrc.gov.uk and then tell you to go to the 'do it online' menu...I had to find my own way in as there was no 'do it online' menu on that page. I found it all fairly disheartening, and I'm never sure what bits I should do on the basic PAYE tools software and what parts I need to sign in to the hmrc website for.
  • AbbieCadabra
    edited 9 April 2015 at 6:09PM
    Options
    halfone wrote: »

AbbieCadabra - perhaps that 'Employer/Employee data – Actions required' is something that only activates if you haven't done something you're supposed to have done?

yes, i think was the gist of it, even if it says otherwise! because i'd already done what was required, i didn't get to see this extra 'helpful' section.

i know what you mean about year end feeling a little insignificant. i'd actually completed the weekly wages & reported online before i even remembered it was year end! i then had to go looking for what i should have done, fortunately i found the final submission for the year/tick form & filed it ok.

i'm hoping i haven't missed anything as i seem to have gone over onto 2015/16 1st weeks wages without any issues, hopefully it would flash & shout at me somewhere if i'd missed 'something' :o
  • theesel1994
    theesel1994 Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2015 at 1:13PM
    Options
    I can't help but thinking - the amount of time you waste over problems with Basic Tools it might not be better just spending under £70 (inc VAT) for a Payroll program. This would allow up to 20 employees which you don't have anyway as you are able to use Basic Tools.

I just keep reading this 15 minutes on a phone call then I gave up. 30 minutes of music etc. The general hassle involved with their program.

This isn't directed at anyone on this thread but users of Basic Tools in general. This is ok if there is no hassle involved. But any time I hear about this program there is tight deadlines as to when you process things over the year end.

I'm not naming the program above (under £70) in case anyone thinks I'm spamming but the year end process is simple. Couple of clicks. Print the P60s at a time of your choosing. Tax codes for next year changed automatically. The new National Insurance letters for under 21s applied automatically. (Quite a timesaver as I also use Sage 50 Payroll and I know the hassle involved using this).

I'm fairly certain the 6 or 7 questions asked at year end are being done away with as well.

EDIT : Quick edit to add my own little rant. It's OK for HMRC to want everything done in real time - but they're particularly slow in having that info show up on their website.
    AT 1st SEPTEMBER 2009
    CASH......£ 321.41...
    BANK.....£ 625.75
    C-CARD...£ 5101.85...ISA......£ 120.00
    Loan from parents for car ~~ £ 5500.00

AT 31st OCTOBER 2009
    CASH......£
    . 50.23...BANK.....£ 723.12
    C-CARD...£ 3818.67...ISA......£. 80.00
    Loan from parents for car ~~ £ 5380.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors