Payment of NI rebates

Just found this out today..

National Insurance contribtuion rebates to 'approved' personal and stakeholder pension plans are paid by BACS payment!

I had thought that insurance companies might have been informed days or weeks in advance of a set of payments of NI reabate before these were recieved [as when groups of staff are paid by employers on the same pay date] But apparently they have no notice whatever and simply receive the individual payments prefixed by the NI number and plan number as reference. I assume these companies all have separate bank accounts in reality and do get a list but it does seem a bit 'cheeky' of the NI credits office to dispatch the money in this way.

My main concern however is that these payments may turn up at any time [always on the 1st of a month] through the year. Last year I got mine in August - this year nothing so far, so 1 November is the next possible date. And if earnings from a previous year [on which the rebate is calculated] don't get recorded for any reason then you would only get to find this out by chasing up with the NICO people yourself - it's not as though the insurance company takes responsiblity for this.

[Bit of a 'hit and miss' system!]
.....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam

Comments

• isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Were you bored? It's not the kind of thing I'd be looking up on a Saturday!

The process as I understand it is this. Every year your employer is required to send a P14 to the Inland Revenue for each employee (oh, what fun it was keying them in when I was a student!). It looks like your P60 but with some additional information. There is a certain timescale when your employer has to send it to the IR - I think it should be before July after the end of the tax year. The P14 either gets keyed or read into NIRS2 (the computer system holding National Insurance records). Most get processed between May and October, although there are usually a few stragglers and forms that need to be queried.

Once a month, a process is run on the records entered into NIRS2 during the previous month which matches the National Insurance numbers to those which it has as registered contracted-out and calculates the NI Rebate. As soon as this process is complete one payment per month covering all members NI Rebates is made to each pension provider through BACS. The pension provider will be sent by magnetic tape a complete list of members details receiving a rebate and the amount. The provider then has 3 months to allocate it to the member's pension fund.

If you have two or more different employments during the previous year then you may receive two or more lots of NI rebates depending on when each of your employments P14s get processed.

I'm not sure how you expect the NI Rebate to be paid then other by BACS?
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My point was that it genuinely is 'hit and miss'.

A few years ago an employer made a lump sum payment of 'back pay'. But this happened under a different payroll reference than the earlier pay received [effectively two separate periods of employment in the same year with the same company - so separate P14s required] I also had a second job elsewhere - so a Third P14 there. They also allocated that payment wrongly over a single time period [one week] instead of the period over which it was earned. And this meant it only partly qualified for rebate [i.e. not all of it] and more NI was taken than needed to be

Now two of the P14s were evidently recorded onto NIRS2 during the period you mention - because I got a rebate [which may have been in two payments - I can check] BUT getting the NICO people to to put right the third bit mentioned - to obtain credit took from Autumn 2001 to Winter 2002/03 - and this for earnings taking place in 2000-01. To get this paid I had to repeatedly chase up the eployer's payroll - then their Inland Revenue office - and finally NICO - and this was just one part payment for one tax year.

For EACH of the first 4 years of contracting out - the wrong amounts of rebate were paid - essentially due to failiures to record some earnings each time. The system is supposed to be efficient - but clearly was not.

A better system would have the insurer or the individual entering a claim for a rebate - supported by the necessary proofs of earning - P45/P60 - which could therefore go in within 2 months of the end of the tax year. Much stress is placed on the 'KEEP IT' aspect of certificates of pay and earnings so it baffles me why these would not be considered 'reliable' as evidence in the way I suggest?

If I can stray off-topic a bit further: The change to 'direct payment' of mortgage interest to recipients of Income Support in the early 90s was asked for by the lenders because a few people [anecdotally] didn't keep up payments on their mortgages whilst these payments were being included in their allowances and paid to them. Rather than study the 'problem' - or ask whether the fact that these mortgage interest payments were limited to only 50% for the first number of months had anything to do with it - the govt of the day made ALL homebuyers subject to 'direct payment'. Result: great for the lenders but not so great for the borrowers because they could no longer 'see' [or know] when payments were being made into their mortgage accounts OR how much this left them required to pay for themselves OR when? [NOTE: these payments were set at 50% for the first 16 weeks, and they got paid on 4 weekly cycle - whereas mortgage lenders required payments monthly. Thus the payments were anyway out of 'sync' and borrowers had to make top up payments at odd times - all whilst being on fixed weekly payments.]

My point there is that a system that puports to run smoothly on auto [like the NI rebate payments] is in reality - well 'cr*p'! A better system would deliver more certain and regular payment of rebates were it based on 'claiming' rather than the 'universal' notion we have at present.

There is a curious 'inversion' here with the dbate raging around the basic state pension - namely that 'means-testing' is being derided in part because it only works if pensioners can be persuaded to submit claims - and they are never going to do so at 100%. However if the insurer did the 'chasing up/submitting' then I am sure this would work better than what we have now.

[A bit academic really, since the rebates probably won't surivive the next big shake up in state pensions]

But thanks anyway for those clarifications - Like you say 'nothing better to do!' ;D
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Having the insurance company submitting a claim would involve them knowing your earnings, so they would need you to fill in a form annually and provide evidence (a P60 for example).  They would then submit it to the NICO who would argue about the figures, correspondence would fly between NICO, the insurance co, yourself and your employer until eventually the issue would be resolved and the payment would be made.

This would have a number of effects:

- Your NIC bill would go up to pay the additional NICO admin
    - Your PP fees would increase to cover the additional insurer admin
    - Your postage and phone bills would increase
    - Your annual paperwork would increase
    - Your rebate would be paid 3 years later than it is at the moment.

Other than that, it is a great idea.  ;)

More importantly though, what the hell are you doing contracting out anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure